| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rickenbacher d-6
Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2003 9:08 am    

I was hoping one of you could help me identify the year of this guitar, and perhaps it's value. I am going to put it up for sale here once I get enough info on it.
Pat.#no.2089171

Thanks in advance to all who respond

[This message was edited by Danny Hullihen on 30 September 2003 at 10:17 AM.]

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2003 10:28 am    

Hi Danny... it's approx 1947... the reasons for this are that Rick went to the "T"-shaped logo on the head stock starting 1946.
In ~1949 (I'm not quite 100% sure yet) they changed to an arrow shaped logo which also included the spelling change from Rickenbacher to Rickenbacker
In 1948 they added tone controls to the already installed independent volume controls.
see my 1948 twin 8 here :- http://www.waikiki-islanders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/master.html

I hope this is of some help....
Baz www.waikiki-islanders.com

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

[This message was edited by basilh on 30 September 2003 at 11:37 AM.]

[This message was edited by basilh on 30 September 2003 at 11:57 AM.]

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2003 11:22 am    

Thanks Basil. I sincerely appreciate your detailed info on this. Now if I can just find a price to list this at so someone might give it a new happy home. Smile
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2003 5:47 am    

I'd second what Basil said.
These guitars can sound quite alright... but it's not considered the "real deal" like a prewar B-series lap... smaller pickup, no string thru, non-integrated bridge, and last but not least; nobody seems to come up with a picture of Jerry Byrd holding one in his hands with a big smile.
Most I've seen where D16's (meaning double Cool, which makes more sense, because if you are not satisfied with one neck, most won't be with 6 strings anymore either.
On the other hand the souble 8's used the same neck (width) and thus the string spacing got a bit though for good slant intonation... so your's is more playable for that techinque.
I think good looking double 8's fetched between the upper 6-hundreds up to the low 1K's about a year or two ago. I haven't been in the marked recently so...
I think that as a seller you'd get the best out of it on e-bay... unless somebody'd make you an offer you couldn't refuse right here.

... J-D.
Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2003 8:08 am    

J.D. Thanks for the info. With that being the case, I'll probably list it on here, and then again on ebay and see what happens?

It's a really nice old Rick, especially for the folks I've seen that can really play these guitars.