| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  J.D. and Lloyd on "Sweetheart of the Rodeo"
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2003 12:23 pm    

Haven't seen this mentioned, but Columbia has just put out a 2-CD set of the "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" album with a ton of unreleased material and new interviews with Lloyd Green and J.D. Manness regarding their involvement with the Byrds' project. Lloyd has some good comments regarding the studio sessions as well as the Opry appearance.

As I had recently bought the remastered CD, I was hesitant to plop down more money for another 2 CDs....but I really did want to hear the outtakes. Let me tell you all, it is worth it. Great to hear how Lloyd and J.D. would play a variation of the same lick for take after take, each lick being different than the one before. And yet, many of us are always striving to "nail" the lick when WE play it, not realizing that it wasn't really a lick that was deliberately planned and practiced ahead of time....it just came "at the moment".

The CDs also have some rare International Submarine Band songs with J.D. on them.

Joe
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2003 12:26 pm    

Lloyd Green contributed details of the recording sessions to the author of the liner notes. I've always been a big fan of the album (duh!), and I look forward to getting this new release.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax

[This message was edited by Bobby Lee on 16 September 2003 at 01:43 PM.]

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2003 3:36 pm    

So if I order this, how can I be sure I'm getting the newer one with the Lloyd and JayDee extras?
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2003 3:45 pm    

I just cruised by Amazon & CDUniverse and first of all you can ID it by its' being a 2 CD set, and you can look for its Sept. '03 release date.
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=MUSIC&pid=6264669&cart=157670055
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2003 4:21 pm    

As long as these two players have been around, it should be moved to "Still Players", two of the best ever.
I got this album the summer it came out as a demo from a Columbia record rep that played golf at the course I worked at as a golf cart repair and maintenance man while in high school. It was a bit of a shock at first considering the other music at the time.
I got to see the Byrds 1969 tour at Emory University (as on the Fillmore 69 CD). No steel players, but Clarence White was his usual self. Still one of the best concerts ever for me. I too have considered all of the steel parts sacred. This is a must have for me to add to my near complete Byrds collection.
Lefty
Dekley D-10
Sho-Bud LDG
Deering Banjo
Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2003 5:02 am    

This CD is being marketed as a "Legacy Edition" recording, part of Sony/Columbia's effort to make money on old stuff. The package is clearly identified with the "Legacy Edition" and the "L" logo.
Barnes and Noble clearly identifies it as the Legacy edition. Amazon is extremely vague.
I just added it to my collection. I have the original vinyl LP but the reissue sounds 100% better.

Karlis
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2003 6:04 am    

One of the best things to me about the set is that the rare ISB tracks are on there....and they've been remastered as well! Their version of Truck Driving Man is one of my faves, and now sounds soooooo much better.

Joe
Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2003 6:12 am    

Joe, I have to agree about the ISB tracks. I have the original ISB vinyl and the mix on the new release is super. GP is one of the reasons I am where I am today musically.

Karlis

[This message was edited by Karlis Abolins on 18 September 2003 at 07:12 AM.]

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2003 5:53 am    

I just got this set and concur on all points... it's cool to hear the interplay in the studio, and to realize that legends are human too...

Quote:
Great to hear how Lloyd and J.D. would play a variation of the same lick for take after take, each lick being different than the one before. And yet, many of us are always striving to "nail" the lick when WE play it, not realizing that it wasn't really a lick that was deliberately planned and practiced ahead of time....it just came "at the moment".

a very valid point not just for this set but for almost ANY of what we consider the classic steel parts on records- at the time it was (likely) spontaneous, yet we now strive to replicate it note for note as if recording it etched it in stone for all time...

[This message was edited by Dave Van Allen on 25 September 2003 at 06:54 AM.]

Pete Ballard

Detroit, MI, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2003 7:24 am    

Damn it. How many times am I gonna have to buy that album in my lifetime?
John McGann

Boston, Massachusetts, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2003 7:42 am    

Dave- kind of like Charlie Parker or Louis Armstrong or solos- created on the fly, but something we (well, me) mortals can really use and learn from. Things created on the fly by great musicians can be "compositions" just the same as sat-down-worked-out compositions.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2003 8:30 am    

I got it two days ago, from Amazon.
It's the "Legacy" edition. (the highest priced "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" in their list.)

Wow!! I'm very happy I bought it.
The rehersal takes are great, the steel is way up front in the mix. Nice booklet with inside comments by Lloyd and JayDee, too.

I never understood the value of the ISB, still don't. I only listened to their tracks once.

I still have the vinyl "Sweetheart" that I bought in 1969.

It's nice to know that the two Steelers on this album are still active.

BTW, the 1998 Hillman/Penderson album "Bakersfield" is an interesting follow up to this album. (JayDee's all over it.)
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2003 9:42 am    

Bakersfield Bound album is a great album for real country music and steel guitar.