| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 six string variations
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2003 10:17 am    

If I had to choose ONLY one tuning for a 6 string steel guitar, it would have to be JB's C6/A7 tuning IMO.

carl
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2003 10:22 am    

I use the C6 tuning from the lower A (Amin7) on my 6 string lap. Low to high: ACEGAC

I find it's better for the kind of stuff I'm more interested in...jazz & blues. But it is also good for C&W and swing using slants.
I like having the lower range, so I chose to sacrifice the high 3rd(E). I sometimes raise the lower strings up a half step for some variations: A#CEGAC or AC#EGAC or ACFGAC.
I recently played a bluegrass gig using this tuning on a resonator guitar, and nobody was any wiser.

As a pedal steeler primarily, I'm more interested in the single note voice of this non pedal axe...ala Toots Thielmans, Stephan Grappelli etc. , but there are alot chord fragments to be had. Having this tuning is also a great practice instrument for the inside 6("home row")of my C6 PSG. Someday soon I really do wanna get an 8 string though.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2003 3:46 pm    

A behind the bar string pull on the top string gives a very nice 6 chord using the Leavitt tuning. So far, the Leavitt tuning tops them all for playing modern jazz chords. The 6th tuning just throws you out on the trail behind the chuck wagon too fast for my taste.
Mike Ihde

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2003 8:11 pm    

It's so nice the see people saying good things about Bill's tuning (Leavitt). He would be happy and proud to see his work being used and enjoyed by so many.
In some of the arrangements I've created I've used first, second and even fifth string pulls behind the bar to get that nice pre-bend resolution. It's a wonderful tuning for Jazz chord solos but even I go back to C6/A7 for most everything else. Luckily, it only takes retuning 2 stings to get from C6/A7 to Leavitt. 3rd string A up to Bb and first string E down to D.