| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lloyd Green did the impossible....
Bob Kononiuk

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2003 6:47 am    

...he made my wife actually like the steel guitar!! I never thought it would happen. After she saw him at the convention and especailly heard his new CD she is like a new woman.

Now, instead of hesitantly agreeing to let me buy a new guitar, she actually graciously let me get a new Carter. And then we were at Jeff Newmans booth, she picked up his 101 course and said "here, you need to get this"

I mean WOW. Actually telling me to spend money on steel guitar stuff. Before, she was unhappy if I spent only $3 on some new picks. Maybe she thinks someday I will sound like Lloyd (yeah right, maybe if I practice 8 hours every day 365 days a year and live to be as old as Yoda but don't tell here that )

Next I bring up the Hilton Volume pedal and she is like "Sure, if that is what you need"

I do not know what Lloyd put in his music (she says that he is the only one she has heard that puts so much feeling into his music) but whatever it is, it is working.

I hope he is working on his next CD and puts it out fast, maybe then she will let be drop $2000 on Jeff Newmans Top Gun one-on-one teaching and maybe also a new Nashville 1000!!

Keep up the great work Lloyd and a big thanks to you. Now go get that next CD made

Take care and God bless

Bob Kononiuk
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2003 7:56 am    

There's just something about that Old Sho Bud sound, and four, not fourteen, knee levers.

I just watched the Lloyd/Tommy vid again.

That right hand just drives me nuts. Like 8 inch spider on steroids.

I think it's the "Spirit" that shines through.

Back in the miserable, full time playing/car living 80s, his stuff brought me out of a couple slumps.

If I'm not too old at 50, and I live through the paving "harvest" this year, I feel it happening again.

I re-read the letter I got with my CD a lot.

I needed both about this time.

EJL

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2003 8:32 am    

she's settin' ya up for something, bob...
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2003 8:37 am    

... she wants a new house...
Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2003 8:49 am    

I was just listening to Lloyd at ISGC 02 last week and he mentioned something about a project he seemed to be aware of going on in Nashville that he thought was going to be big and from the way he said it I assumed it was something that was going to help change the direction of country music as we know it today (although I may well be assuming too much). I didn't think he was talking about his new CD. Any mention of anything like that this year?
Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2003 9:01 am    

I know he's going to play on a Johnny Paycheck tribute album that Robbie Fulks is putting together... should be something special. Other than that, anyone have ideas about what he might be doing these days?
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2003 9:09 am    

Yes; Lloyd was speaking of the New Allan Jackson single called "Remember When" that will be released as a single very soonish...and is on AJ's new CD that was just released and is a HUGE seller right out of the door.
Lloyd is featured on a LONG (I think 16 bars) Solo on this single....and will turn many heads/ears, when released.
Of course Lloyds own CD is now released and is quite a door opener in Nashville.
The Johnny Paycheck Tribute CD that was put together by Robbie Folks...is still waiting to be released.....and Lloyd is the featured Steel player on this whole project; along with my band mate Redd Volkaert.....and people will fall to the floor when they hear this Project....as it will be the best Country Music to come out of Nashville in 30 years.
Ricky
Bob Kononiuk

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2003 9:43 am    

That new Johnny Paycheck Tribute album sounds awesome. I will be looking out for more info.

And Jim, I just bought her a new house a few months ago. I sure hope she doesn't want another one so soon

I do not know guys, but it good.

Bob

------------------
Bob Kononiuk

Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2003 10:31 am    

from http://www.takecountryback.com/news004.htm

"Touch My Heart - The Johnny Paycheck Tribute" The cd's roster now includes:

George Jones, Once You've Had the Best
Mavis Staples, Touch My Heart
Buck Owens, Take This Job and Shove It
Jim Lauderdale, I Want You to Know
Johnny Bush, Apartment #9
Larry Cordle, Old Violin
Al Anderson, Someone to Give My Love To
Dallas Wayne, I Did the Right Thing
Dave Alvin, 11 Months and 29 Days
Gail Davies and Robbie Fulks, Shakin' the Blues
Hank Williams III, I'm the Only Hell My Mama Ever Raised
Bobby Bare, Jr., Motel Time Again
Marshall Crenshaw, I'm Barely Hangin' On To Me
Mike Ireland, A Man That's Satisfied
Billy Yates, Lovin' Machine
Junior Brown, Yes, She's Gone
Neko Case, If I'm Gonna Sink (I Might As Well Go to the Bottom)

Robbie Fulks will produce "Touch My Heart - The Johnny Paycheck Tribute." Fulks has not only lined up an inspired and unexpected roster of artists to pay tribute to the singing and song writing genius of Paycheck, he has also recruited some of country music's most renowned musicians to play. The band includes:

Lloyd Green - pedal steel guitar
Redd Volkaert - lead guitar
Robbie Fulks - acoustic guitar
Dennis Crouch - bass
Hank Singer - fiddle
Joe Terry - piano
Gerald Dowd - drums

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website

Bob Kononiuk

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2003 11:03 am    

BTW, Ricky, my wife did enjoy your playing also. We were the young (30 year old ) couple that was sitting in the second row of your saturday evening set in the Fulawka room.

The aformentioned wife was the beautiful lady that took our picture together after the set.

Bob

------------------
Bob Kononiuk

David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2003 7:57 pm    

Bob, I had to laugh at your lead post.
My lady friend likes C&W and steel, but she's not crazy about steel instrumental albums.
Then the other day she drops by while I've got "Revisited" in the player and next thing I know she's humming along with a tune and asking if that's one of the CD's I just brought home from St.Louis.
Only took a moment for Lloyd to work his magic on her.
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2003 5:42 pm    

What can be said about Lloyd Green that has not already been said?
Lloyd Green + 1 Sho-Bud = great sounds,welcome back Lloyd....

------------------
Bill Ford
Geoff Cole

Marrara N.T. Australia
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2003 9:27 pm    

"Lloyd Green does the impossible",Yeah, and has been doing so since Adam was a boy. What's new?.
Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2003 8:11 am    

Actually now that I see the post on the Tennessean article it does sound like his new CD and comeback effort was what Lloyd was referring to at last year's convention although at the time I thought it was something we would hear about any day. In any event I wish him the best of luck, I haven't listened to much country radio recently but it seems to be stuck in a pretty deep rut from what little I have heard. Maybe a fresh dose of Mr Green is just what the doctor ordered for country music? Here's hoping!
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2003 5:24 am    

Lloyd Green's new CD is tremendous. I listened to it several times on the stormy 3 day drive from St. Louis to Cape Cod. It still is getting better to my ears.

Tone to the bone, several non standard rhythms, a Chalkersque choice of songs, gorgeous production values.
And most to the point; the use of melody as a primary focus, with hamonizations added to it, but never overriding it.
It should quickly be considered a classic.

I had the pleasure of speaking briefly with Mr. G. and I can see his gracious personality all through this work. BRAVO!

Also later that week, to my surprise, I found that Mr. G. also has a distant, but salient part in me having my 1st studio recorders left to my use many, many years ago.
Go figure!
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2003 5:26 am    

Lloyd Green's new CD is tremendous. I listened to it several times on the stormy 3 day drive from St. Louis to Cape Cod. It still is getting better to my ears.

Tone to the bone, several non standard rhythms, a Chalkersque choice of songs, gorgeous production values.
And most to the point; the use of melody as a primary focus, with hamonizations added to it, but never overriding it.
It should quickly be considered a classic.

I had the pleasure of speaking briefly with Mr. G. and I can see his gracious personality all through this work. BRAVO!

Also later that week, to my surprise, I found that Mr. G. also has a distant, but salient part in me having my 1st studio recorders left to my use many, many years ago.
4 degrees of seperation. Go figure!
John Borchard

Athens, OH 45701
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2003 7:40 am    

What a phenomenal CD! Absolutely beautiful. This is a must-have for anyone interested in E9, or just pure, spot-on steel playing for that matter. Plus, how many artists do you know that send you a hand written note with their CD?!

Great work, Lloyd! Thanks for the beautiful steel playing you've shared with us through the years. Please don't make us wait another 12 years for the next CD.

John Borchard