| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Alvino Rey Guitar????
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2003 8:59 pm    

What kinds of steel guitars did Alvino Rey use during his career??

Number of strings, pedals/knees and tunings would be interesting.
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2003 12:40 am    

I know of two brands:

Gibson (ElectraHarp S-8 / 5-pedal steel) from the late 30´s on.

Sho-Bud S-10 with a good mess of pedals (based on PR pick´s I have seen).

I have also an instruction book on how to play the "singing guitar"... probably out of the early 30´s depicting him (very handsome man btw and dressed with style.) playing a S-6 lap of which I don't even remember if I could see which brand it was.

Al Marcus, are you around? Winking Al, is the man you realy want to answer this... I'm just to darn young to realy know! )

... J-D.
Carl West

La Habra, CA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2003 5:00 am    

Best knowledge of that would be Jody Carver
and Roy Ayers.

Carl West
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2003 5:29 am    

Carl:

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not the authority on Alvino. Jody may be -- or Dr. Hugh Jeffreys. Hugh is a personal friend of Alvino's and corresponds and/or visits with him quite often.

Roy
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2003 6:16 am    

Alvino is seen playing what appears to be a Gibson Console Grande in the movie "Sing Your Worries Away"-Starring the recently departed Buddy Ebsen
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2003 6:54 am    

I had a phone conversation with Mr. Rey recently and I believe he said he still has a Sierra. Dr. Hugh can certainly verify this...

Fred

------------------
The spirit be with you!
If it aint got a steel, it aint real

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2003 9:42 am    

Hi Bill. good post abut the HOF Father of the pedal steel guitar. I have corresponded with Alvin and talked to him on the phone at his home in Sandy, Utah. He does not like to Email.

Hi J.D.-you are close to right. I have that singing guitar book by Alvino. And he was in a picture playing a 6 string Gibson.

Later he played a Gibson Console Grande special for him with 9 strings. I had 8 and always wished I had 9 to get that low on E6 which we played on the bottom neck, and E7-9 on the top neck.

Later the Gibson Electra-Harp with the birdseye maple cabinet to the floor with matched walnut inserts in the front and sides. A beautiful Guitar. almost too bulky and heavy for one man to carry.

It had 9 strings and 6 pedals. Mine again had 8 strings. Then he went on to a Sho-Bud single neck 10 string with 11 pedals, then after that to a Sierra. He played an E6 tuning with a lot of pedal setups that were later used on the C6 pedal guitars.( so he was first with pedals 5-6-7 used later on C6. Guitars. That was Back in 1941.

He was my first "Mentor" and Maurice Anderson was my next "Mentor".

Alvino was first and showed the way for Modern Orchestra style big band Pedal Steel Guitar, with full chords......al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 02 August 2003 at 10:47 AM.]

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2003 1:16 pm    

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2549238212&category=33040
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2003 4:40 pm    

Maybe another senior moment but Someone showed me another album by Alvino and He was shown standing by a Fender 1000. I'll see if I still have that here with me or if I've loaned it to someone....

Regards, Paul
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2003 6:24 pm    

Thanks for the link CrowB.

Reason I asked about Alvino is that I picked up an LP at a thrift store a few months ago of Rey playing some gospel music on an OLD recording done I think with Ralph Carmicheal arranging and conducting an orchestra. A. Rey plays all the melodies and improv. The sound is just incredible!!!! So smooth and just virtuosic in his phrasing. Georgeous mellow tone. I remember Alvino more from watching him on the King Sisters show when I was a kid. He was more into the flashy show thing there even though his playing was always fantastic.

I wish I could find some more of his recordings. I know this guy is good, but I forgot just how good!!!!
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2003 5:41 am    

I had the distinct priviledge of working at the Sierra factory when "THE MAN" came to Oregon. We built him the eleven string unit after he heard my fourteen string steel and wanted to add all "those beautiful low note chords" but opted for only one addition and that was to be the eleventh string. This note is my 14th string which is a low E (080 ga). Alvino said he was just "too old to learn new strings". We all know much better than that, but we did build him that guitar and it was a challenge to install all those changes to the pedals etc. I have a few pictures of Alvino sitting behind my guitar and some shots of his new guitar while it was being put together if any one is interested. Alvino is the absolute "Father of the Pedal Steel" in my estimation, for what that is worth.
It was a great pleasure to have spent those two weeks with him and Louise while we built that guitar. They drove up in their motor home and stayed the entire time. Got to be with them on a daily basis. What a reward for me!!!

Bill Stafford
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2003 6:41 am    

Bill S. thanks for verifying Mr. Rey's having a Sierra. He was very vocal in expressing how much he liked the guitar and he mentioned adding the other string, but his voice was kinda' weak and I don't hear that well anymore either...He mentioned some of the people at Sierra by name and I knew I recognized one or two of them and I now remember yours was one he brought up. I just didn't recall until you refreshed my memory. He is one super great gentle--man. He is so kind to talk to an average player and ready to give any assistance if one asks. Again, thanks for the post.

FRED

------------------
The spirit be with you!
If it aint got a steel, it aint real

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2003 4:54 am    

Hi Fred, yes - Alvino is the greatest. What a priviledge when he gave me his genuine friendship. I will always cherish that honor. Alvino is a true "giving person".
Once, when I was on a tour in Australia I was being interviewed over the radio. The talk show host brought up Alvino's name and asked if I knew of him. I answered in the affirmative, and then asked the MC if he would like to talk with Alvino. "You mean you can call him now?" was his response. So I called Alvino and introduced the two and then my interview was over. lol That was another "Alvino Highlight" for me. That radio host told me after that "I will never be same after talking with Mr. Rey". What a treat this man Alvino Rey is for all of us wannabee steel guitar players. Thanks Alvino.

Bill Stafford
Bruce Clarke

Spain
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2003 8:17 am    

I have just one page of "Fretted Instrument News" July/August 1948. It contains the music for Alvino Rey's composition "Moonlit Mood" snd bears the inscription " Dedicated to the readers of Fretted Instrument News" This appears to be a handwritten manuscript,(not tab) beautifully written out presumably by the man himself, and arranged for 6 string Hawaiian Guitar, E9th tuning. If this is of any interest, I will try to email it to anyone that contacts me.
Incidentally the reverse side of the page is entitled "Accordion spotlight" and includes details of concerts with the Detroit and Denver Symphony orchestras, clearly the instrument was a big deal at that time.
Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2003 6:23 pm    

I can honestly say that knowing Alvino and having him say the great things about my playing/arranging has been the highlight of my entire musical career! Very truly, Hugh Jeffreys