| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  EHArp Trivia Item
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2003 10:34 pm    

Many years ago, when I lived in Pa. (this was probably about '50/'51) I accompanied my Music Teacher to Easton, Pa. to the home and studios of Mr. Eddie Alkire, on business. While I was there, Mr. Alkire had one of his EHArp students present, but; he did not own an EHArp at the time. He was taking lessons from Mr. Alkire using an 8str. Rickenbacher guitar. Being young and knowing little, I wondered how he could do that! Through my questioning of the matter, I learned that, of course; he had to omit (2) strings from the EHArp 10 str. tuning. I also took the EHArp courses through my teacher, on an EHArp Guitar. I found out that the other student could cover much of the courses material which was not advanced to the point of using all 10 strs. Therefore, instead of being tuned to the full EHArp Tuning: C#,E,F,F#,G,G#,A,B,C#,E, Mr. Alkire tuned the 8 str. (minus 2 strs): C#,E,G,G#,A,B,C#,E. I think this tuning will carry anyone to a certain point in the instruction courses. Up until within the past 10 yrs. I had all of my vol's on hand from way back then, however; someone was looking for an EHArp course and I dug them out and sold them all! So, all I have now, is memories! Anyone interested in trying the EHArp Tuning, would get a good idea of some of it's possabilities by tuning their 8 str. guitar in this fashion.

------------------
“Big John” {(< http://community.webtv.net/KeoniNui/BigJohnBechtels
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2003 3:56 am    

Thanks for the E Harp info John.

Mae Lang one of America's finest E Harp players will perform at the upcoming HSGA Joliet convention. Mae uses the full 10 string Alkire tuning. Her repertoire is a wonderful combination of pop standards, ballads, Latin and even a few Hawaiian numbers.

The HSGA Joliet (near Chicago) convention is coming up soon, October 2-4, 2003.

More info: www.hsga.org

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 13 September 2003 at 04:58 AM.]

Graham Griffith

Tempe, N.S.W., Australia
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2003 1:34 am    

John,

that information really is quite informative ... that he dropped the "F" & "F#" strings. One thought that I have is that he retained the lowest two strings because of his (course) stated objective that the low "C#" & "E" strings could be used to play melody lines an octave lower than melodies normally played on the top two strings.

I tend to lose sight of this as I use the Eharp to play chordal melodies mostly.

thanks

Graham
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2003 5:16 am    

Graham; If you dropped the low C# and E, and began with F,F#,G,G#,A,C#,E, the lowest Major chord available with the root on top would be C# chord open, (F,G#,C#). by droping the F and F# using the C#,E, your lowest chord becomes (A) open to which can be added the 7th.- G or M7th.- G#. The C#,E on the bottom seems much more practicle to me! [and the use of the F and F# is pretty far down the line in the EHArp Courses] I personally much prefer the C-Diatonic tuning! I've even devised some extra top strings to expand the 7str. tuning. I have added 1 str. to the bottom, and then the 7str. tuning + 2 more extra strs.[C],E,F,G,A,B,C,E,[D],[F]

------------------
“Big John” {(<< Uh~
http://community.webtv.net/KeoniNui/BigJohnBechtels