| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Commander Cody/King Biscuit CD
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2003 2:18 pm    

has anyone heard this CD?
it just came out this year, but was recorded in March of '76, presumably w/ Bobby Black, Bill Kirchen, etc.

i was hoping for a review before buying it...

thanks
Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2003 10:05 am    

I have that CD and can absolutely recommend it to all Commander Cody fans. It was a tight, ferocious performance. The liner notes tell a bit the story of the band in those days and even though things were not going too well for them, they were past their prime as far as studio albums were concerned, they were still a great live band and this album shows why. It kicks off with a fiery instrumental version of "Battle Of New Orleans", there are some of their best known songs like "Smoke Smoke Smoke (That Cigarette)", "It Should Have Been Me", "Seeds And Stems", "Beat Me Daddy Eight To The Bar", "Hot Rod Lincoln", some rockabilly ("Ubangi Stomp") a classic swinging "San Antonio Rose" that reminds incredibly of Bob Wills, and more. Bobby Black was smokin´ hot through the whole set. His rides on "Big Mamou" and "Truck Drivin´ Man" are killer, and he did some great C6 stuff, too. And the ol´ Commander seemed to really enjoy himself. If you like those guys as much as I do, don´t miss out on that one.

Regards, Joe H.