| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nicest Guitar That got Away
John Knight

Alaska
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2003 8:37 am    

For me it was an MCI. That little guitar was easy to move around and had such a nice tone to it. Should have never sold it. I wonder how many Emmons P/P will show up in this post. On the other hand I had a Remmington that I couldn't give away. I think someone swiped it out of Herb's shop in Houston. Give credit to Herb he did treat me right. That was just before I met Dr. Seymour. From then on its been a different guitar every 2 years. He is such a smooth talker. Bobbe know's I'm just kidding and I'm glad that he keeps the store doors open. Thanks for treating me right all these years.

------------------
D 10 Thomas with 8&6, '61'D-10 Sho-Bud 8&3
S12 Knight 6&4
Nashville 400 and Profex II
81' Fender Twin JBL's
Asleep at the Steel

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2003 9:01 am    

For me the niocest guitar that got away, came back. I sold it to our fellow forumite Gary Morse, and he later decided to go back to playing a D-10 and sold it back to me.

I lucked out.
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2003 1:33 pm    

Curly Chalker's black MSA. Back in about 1990 I didn't have a steel, having quit the music business as a profession in '84. Curls insisted I borrow his MSA. He had two nearly identical black ones so even he wasn't sure if it was the same one he used on some of his recordings like "More Ways To Play". I had it for a few months but I wasn't comfortable having it. For one thing, I just don't like borrowing anything, plus its' setup wasn't anything like what I was used to and I didn't feel I should change anything, not even the pedal heights. My apartment was also not in the best of neighborhoods and I started worrying about how awful it would be if it got stolen, so I gave it back to Curly. When he loaned it to me he said, "Don't tell anybody, I don't want them to think ol' Curls has gone soft!" I literally had to insist he take it back. I wonder if he would've ever asked for it back? The other pedal steel I wish I hadn't let get away was an old Sho-Bud double-11, supposedly built for Bobby Garrett. It was rosewood and maple, I wasn't real knowledgable about vintage Sho-Buds at the time but I'm pretty sure from what I can remember of it that it was a fingertip. It sure had the sound, and the beautiful classic old Sho-Bud looks.

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 10 April 2003 at 02:34 PM.]

VERNON PRIDDY

ELIZABETHTOWN; KY. USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2003 2:42 pm    

Ha John I Have Knowed Bobbe For Years He Has Always done Me Right I Have Bought A Lot Of Guitars And Ect. From Him . It;s The Only Place To Go For Steel Guitar And Steel Guitar Needs. Bobbe Is A Great Guy. And A Great Player Also. SONNY.

------------------
SONNYPRIDDY

Kurt Graber

Wichita, KS, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2003 3:01 pm    

I'll second or rather 3rd that on Bobbe! Anytime I want something he has always worked with me to get it at a price or a deal that is reasonable. Of course, I have traded some mighty fine stuff to him and he has traded some mighty fine stuff right back. I remember my first real steel was a single neck emmons push/pull that I wish I could get back. It was black mica, and I traded it off about 15 years ago because I didn't know the value of it and I was so set on getting my first double neck. Oh Well!!!
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2003 3:29 pm    

WEll this one RIGHT HERE

....AND THIS ONE

Signed>"Gosh what was I thinkin'"
Ricky
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2003 7:02 pm    

Vance Terry's Bigsby, An Epiphone Emporer that had been customized by Paul Bigsby and I sold a S-10 wraparound 3+4 (originally 6+1) for $350 in 1979, I couldn't understand why it sounded so much better than my Super Pro, what can I say.....
Ken Latchum

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2003 4:21 am    

They are some beautiful guitar's! If I am not mistaken that Speedy West Guitar is a guitar made by Mr Leonard Stadler manfuacturer of the MARLEN STEEL GUITAR'S. WHAT A SOUND THEY HAVE.

kEN
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2003 9:51 am    

Yeah, that Speedy West guitar was a sweet one. I bought it from Ricky (I took that picture), then sold it to get my Williams. It played like butter, looked and sounded great, but mechanically it was very limited.

It's my "nicest guitar that got away", too.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax
Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2003 9:53 am    

That ShoBud is truly outstanding, Ricky... I´m sure its new owner will treat it very well.

[This message was edited by Joe Henry on 12 April 2003 at 10:57 AM.]

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2003 11:07 am    

You know, I keep trying to make myself add to this thread but the memories are just too painful!

[This message was edited by Chris Bauer on 12 April 2003 at 12:07 PM.]

Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2003 6:06 pm    

When I was in my early twenties I was working at Bert's Guitar Shop in my hometown of Atlanta (well, we called it working - we really smoked pot all the time and threw darts alot). Bert had a friend with a used Strat for sale and he let me take the guitar home for a few days to see if I liked it. I couldn't swing the $500 that he wanted for it, so gave it back to him. It was a 1957 see-through blonde Stratocaster with gold hardware, V neck, in mint condition with original case.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2003 11:42 pm    

Yes indeed that "Speedy West Custom" is a Marlen built by Leonard....and Speedy and leonard had a deal starting in the very late 60's that he would build Speedy a new one each year if he would play it...and that went on for 5 or 6 years....and this was the 1st one...yee haaa.
Yes Joe Henry is the new proud owner of the Sho~Bud Professional pictured above...and how he talked me outta it>>I don't know...ha.

Ricky
Martin Weenick

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 12:17 am    

My 1956 Fender Strat. sunburst that I pawned in New Orleans for $60.00 in 1958. I guess I could buy a new truck for what its worth now.I would sure like to know what it sell for today.

------------------

Martin W. Emmons LG III 3/5 Peavy 1000
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 5:11 am    

A Tommy White Mullen. Had a Blue laquer front and a natural maple top. Music City Instruments in Magee MS had it on consignment. It was my setup, too!
Charles McGough

Sterlington, LA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2003 7:16 am    

Ron Elliott's burgandy EMCI. The one he used on "Pure American Steel". What a nice guitar! I must have had a really weak monent to let it go.

Charles McGough
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2003 11:40 am    

Ricky, that Sho~Bud is absolutely, drop-dead gorgeous. I'm in love. What on earth were you thinking??

For me, it's the black mica Fessenden D-10 I sold to Bob Blair in Canada. I still have visiting rights, but I don't get out to western Canada very often!

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2003 2:19 pm    

I had lots of steels that I wish I had kept but the one I wish I had kept for historical reasons was my Gibson Electra-Harp with solid Birdseye Maple and Matched Walnut Cabinet all the way to the floor.

They only made 7 of them before WWII and I should have kept it as I was one of the 7....I think I sold it for about $400. in the 60's...too bad....al

Post  Posted 18 Apr 2003 3:11 pm    

MCI Range Expander, great little steel, but I'm not complaining as the steels I have are wonderful.