| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar in Mexico
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2003 10:22 pm    

Does anyone know if there are any steel players in Mexico? There must be at least one, I was channel-flipping one night and saw a Mexican band on Telemundo or Univision and they were doing Rockabilly and had a pedal steel, (didn't catch the name of the band) but I've never seen another one on TV or on any visits to Mexico. Was just wondering, since we have Forumites here from all over the globe...
Harry Hess

Blue Bell, PA., USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2003 2:16 am    

Wow, could be tempting to sell the farm here and move down there and live like a millionare and be king of the hill to boot.

Regards,
HH
Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2003 10:43 am    

A few weeks ago a fellow posted from Mexico. I forget exactly what he said but I contacted Neil Flanz and had him send Raul a CD of his riffs and intros from years ago. Raul wrote back and thanked me and said he works regularly.
If you want holler at him he is Raulpickinon@hotmail.com
regards, fred
Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2003 11:03 am    

It's too bad that a musician from the States can get taxed beyound belief for taking your equipment across the border to gig. If it wasn't for that, alot more Americans could play down there.
Hap Young

Yuma, AZ, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2003 7:32 am    

I have played down in Mexico with a church group and the Mexican people are very interested in the inst when they hear it played. They would stand right in front of the steel and watch and listen. We didnt play Mexican music, so i dont know how it would lend itself to that style of music, but they loved the sound of the steel.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2003 10:16 am    

We have a Forum member named Raul that plays E9 and has a Carter D10 on the way. I'll send him this link.
Raul Huerta

Cuauhtemoc, Chihuahua, Mexico
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2003 2:06 pm    

Hi! All,
Friends Im from Cuauhtemoc Chihuahua Mex. and when the turist pas for my City to go at the wter falls in this area arives in the Restaurant Called Buffalo Steake House its all of wood and big and there we play only Country Music and the turist heve very wonder with our music like USA Country Music. we play each saturday night and today I will play with my D-10 Carter 8&8. and i will sell the carter starter. Here not common find Country Bands Only 5 or 6 around Mexico, but we are the only play with the traditional instruments of the Country Music.

You can Find more About our Band In an unofficial web site Http://www.jeronimos.20m.com
sorry I will make an official web with your language

Regards
Friends
And the best for you
RAUL
D-10 Carter 8&8, Nashville 400,Boss DD-3, Ernie Ball V pedal.

------------------
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2003 1:02 pm    

Thanks to everyone who replied. I've been in touch by email with Raul, thanks for the link.

Reason I started this thread is because my wife and I will be "semi-retiring" to Mexico around October of this year. We'll be about 10 miles out of Tepotzotlan (also spelled Tepozotlan), a small town about an hour's drive north of Mexico City.

I'll be playing guitar and pedal steel anywhere with anyone that'll let me. Should really be interesting playing all different kinds of music. I'm excited about bringing pedal steel to an area where it's virtually unknown.
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2003 2:17 am    

Jim congratulations on your plans and new venture in Mexico. Please keep us advised about your experiences there and the pros & cons of living and working in Mexico. Gene
www.genejones.com
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2003 6:53 am    

Jim, I know a fine jazz guitarist who lives in San Miguel de Allende. I'll try to research him . . . Kenny, I believe. San Miguel has a couple of places for live music.

Chris

------------------
now living in the Ocean State ....

John Cox

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2003 8:52 am    

Yeah,Then they'll start making steels down there.
John Cox

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2003 9:10 am    

Emmons(made in Mexico)
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2003 11:00 am    

What a great idea!!! Imagine, a pedal steel made in a Mexican factory, setup, owned and operated by Americans, just like Fender has been doing for several years now, and producing good quality pedal steels at a price even a beginner could afford!!! Thanks, John Cox, I'll bet it's just a matter of time before this is a reality, and we'll all have YOU to thank!!!