| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thanks to David Wright
Bill Sampler

Post  Posted 10 Mar 2003 7:44 pm    

I don't know if David Wright trolls around on the forum, but I would like to thank him for taking a considerable time to answer my numerous newbie questions. He was very gracious, patient and never seemed 'put out' by my most basic of questions. In that time, I learned a great deal. This was a nice change compared with a couple of other forum members that I approached with questions and they gave me the impression that they were more interested in talking with their buddies than to answer some questions. For me, this was quite disheartening. Anyway, thanks again David for taking the time and making a great impression.

------------------
Bill Sampler
Carter S-10/DB 4x5
Nashville 1000
POD Pro

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2003 5:04 am    

DW loves playing steel, talking steel, and the red sex machine. (I think that is a truck.)

He is a funny funny guy and a great player, I have had a chance in the last several years to share the stage and time with him, a great guy indeed.

Larry Behm
Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2003 8:14 am    

I will second all good things said about David!! He is a super talented player and can talk steel on any level. He is always one of my familys highlights each year we go to Dallas.

I met him several years ago when the convention was in downtown Dallas. There was an opening between the lobby and second floor, I heard a steel player that I would bet was Maurice Anderson but when I made my way up there it was David Wright. He can play many styles of music and he plays all of them really well.

The wife and I and now our daughter always look forward to visiting with and hearing David play each year!!
Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2003 8:31 am    

I've taken a couple of lessons from David. He was very even-handed, very patient, and knew exactly what to focus on to jump start me as a fledgling player. And it's quite a thrill to watch him play that Sierra universal of his up close. He even made my '73 MSA U12 sing.

So I second the motion.
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2003 8:50 am    

David Wright is a great guy and a super player. I knew his father Chuck, was quite a guy too...al
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2003 10:32 am    

Besides being a great player and a super nice guy, David has even less hair than I do.

------------------
I'm not fat! I'm horzontally enhanced!

Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2003 10:42 am    

I have played along side David, and taken a lesson or two from him, Only thing more shiny than his head is his glaring personality. David has become one of the guys I look up to. Kinda like a Dad. Big Steel Daddy.
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2003 8:23 pm    

Hey Thanks guys! It's my pleasure to give my opinion whenever it's needed! I love the steel guitar and was blessed early on with the best teacher ever and if I can pass on 1/10 of his knowledge the world will be a better place. Sidney, did Reece put you up to that compliment? Give that little girl of yours some sugar for me will you? I look forward to seeing you again next year. Bill L, you're a good student and you're a pleasure to teach. Al, thanks for the kind words about my dad. He's a character to say the least. Mike, I played all of my hair off years ago! Jim, I'm looking forward to playing with you again as long as you don't ever call me Daddy in public! Bill S, keep in touch. I'll help you anyway I can and don't forget that right hand training...and I don't mean pickin' your nose! And last but not least...Larry, Vanetta will be upset that you called her a red sex machine....I'm gonna go tell on you right now.....!

------------------
My Web Page
Sierra Guitars

Sierra S-12 9&7
Peavey-2000-PX-300

[This message was edited by David Wright on 11 March 2003 at 08:27 PM.]

[This message was edited by David Wright on 11 March 2003 at 08:27 PM.]

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2003 8:30 pm    

You mean he plays steel? I thought he was the bouncer!

(Nah. Truth is, David is probably the best thing comin' out of Modesto these days, and he knows what I mean! )

[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 11 March 2003 at 08:32 PM.]

Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2003 9:19 pm    

Davie Baby is one of my all time heros. I've admired him since I was just a kid. !!!
BB
(even though he has been know to "lay a brick" every now and then)
------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

[This message was edited by Bobby Bowman on 11 March 2003 at 09:22 PM.]

norm mcdaniel

waco tx
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2003 4:34 am    

Bobby, Ive known Mr Dave Wright since the 80's sometime and I always thought he was a guitar picker and a Plumber.

Bill S. Like I told Bobby Ive known David a real long time and believe me he is always free with his opinions.
I guess thats just one of the reasons that me and my wife Judy love the guy so much.
And oh, by the way thats is the reason I have a white Sierra.

Norm McDaniel
Sierra U-12 and lots of other
goodies.
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2003 3:08 pm    

Jim: You had a GREAT set, Trying to give up bounceing, I don't recover as fast as I once did..

Bobby B: Thank's, I do lay much better than I Play... ....

Norm: YOu and Judy are some of my favorite people, sorry she didn't make it this year to Dallas..I can't believe you think I'm free with my opinions!!! I really have toned it down a bit since I met Vanetta, Do you know how hard it is ti find a women that even knows what a steel is , let alone like 's the way it sounds???? I found a keeper in her, so I must be nice, at least to and around her, but you still need to look out when I'm alone!!!
Thank's to all you guy's, for your kind words..............
kbdrost

Prospect Heights, IL
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2003 5:13 pm    

The Dallas show was the first time I'd seen David play. What an incredibly talented and engaging person!! I saw him on Thursday night helping set up with his "West Coast Choppers" shirt and I thought he was somebody's roadie. Then I saw him play on Friday and was completley knocked out buy his tone and technique. On Saturday, all my girlfriend wanted to do was sit in the Sierra room and watch David play and crack his dry wit. I don't need steel lessons; I need a razor. Seriously, David was extremely helpful, explaining his tuning in detail and offering clever insights on his playing style. I hope to see him again soon.

------------------
Ken Drost
Olaf van Roggen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2003 1:40 pm    

David Wright made such a big impression on me the first time I saw him two years ago in Dallas,that I still watch the player's list if he'll be there again.
I remember him making jokes to me,while he kept on playing steel guitar.
David, I'm looking forward to hear you play again...I mean...on your steel guitar .!!!!