| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Few Questions
Kenny Brown

Auburn, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2003 2:52 pm    

First and foremost, my biggest THANK YOU goes out to JIM Vogan--Thank you very much sir for sending me the Winne Winston book. It has already changed the way I comprehend music and is the best theory explanation I have ever read.

Okay, now that I've put some time on my PSG, I have some questions, granted they may be standard, but I'm asking b/c I don't know or either I need to be sure.

1) Tuning my pedals: Okay, I haven't done this because after I tuned all my strings "open", I then checked the strings the pedals affect and they are making the correct notes.--I read in the Winnie Winston book to "leave the pegs alone" if the strings are producing the proper notes when the pedals are applied. In addition to all that, I always check to be certain I'm in tune before I play.--Here's my question: When will I need to "tune the pedals"--when they are out of tune? (I just don't want to go screwing with my instrument I still know VERY little about.

2) I'm getting "chatter" when I play when I feel like I'm putting PLENTY enough pressure on the strings. Any suggestions? More pressure?

3) I'm having a hard time getting my acoustic out of my mind and realizing that I am playing an "accompaniment" instrument now. --Well, that isn't really a question, I just wanted to say that.

4) How much time should I spend on learning TABS/How much time should I spend on theory? I know it's more fun to go find a TAB that you've always wanted to play and work at it, but I am making myself LEARN theory(**the Winnie Winston book has explained theory to me better than any material I've ever looked at by the way**)--maybe that's just b/c I WANT to play steel more than any other instrument I've ever played.

That's all I'm going to write for now.

Thanks,
Kenny

------------------
brand new.
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2003 2:56 pm    

I use tab and theory together. I will use tab to learn a lick and then go to the theory books to see what was played and why it fits.

After you do this a few times, you need less tab and can start "hearing" the chords and notes and figure things out in your head.

Regards,

Mark T.
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2003 3:24 pm    

Kenny, A chromatic tuner is a big help to tuning. I have used a Boss TU-12 for years, it's probably the most commonly used tuner, but there are other which work well. I'd suggest that you start with Jeff Newmans's tuning chart, that will save you a lot of time. Jeff also has excellent courses for sale. His "Right Hand Alpha" course a good investment. click here for the tuning chart. There are a huge number of posts in the archives about tuning. Use the "search" link to check them out. But, a decent tuner and the Newman chart will get you started in the right direction.

You need to use a bit more pressure on the bar the closer you play to the roller nut, as you move up the neck, it's less of a problem. Start at the first fret, play a chord, then move up playing it at every fret, you will get a feel for the amount of pressure needed. Play each note, or chord slowly until you're satisfied with the way it sounds, concentrate on what you are doing. It will get better. Good luck.

------------------
Bill Moore...
my steel guitar web page