| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Donny Young Steel Player- Johnnie Paycheck. RIP
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2003 3:13 pm    

Meant Johnny. Sorry JP

Went through life like it was a goose.

Never forget meeting him one night at the Village Barn in Morningside Maryland. Came in looking bad, played every instrument in the house, and scared the hell out of everybody. Thorougly dangerous man. One hell of a Steel Player.

Slide off your Satin Sheets, A 11, San Fransisco Boxcar ballad, I'll be breakin out again tonite, the list goes on and on..

He lived the kind of life few of us dared to.

RIP

[This message was edited by Eric West on 19 February 2003 at 03:15 PM.]

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2003 3:25 pm    

Once again Eric, you leave us all speechless. I only wish Johnny could have read what you just wrote! I bet he would have approved.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2003 6:37 pm    

Johnny was a maverick, an "outlaw", and a true trend-setter, to say the least. His influence will still be felt long after we are all gone. If I had a dollar for every Paycheck song I ever kicked off, I could buy any steel I wanted...and that's exactly what I recently did.

Thank you Johnny...you're music sure gave me, Frank, Johnny, Stan, and Eddie a lot of good times. Our old band was the "Frank Turner and the Country Outlaws", and I think we did every single song that Johnny and Waylon ever recorded.
Eric West

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2003 7:20 pm    

Damn. You know I forgot that intro to "JukeBox Charlie" I think it was Lloyd, but I dunno. the triplets 1-7-4-5 and the double hit. I think I played that one everwhere I could fit it long after I got told to stop it... I'm getting the main band I play with to do A-11, Only Hell, and possibly Someone to give my Love to...

I was in a band years ago where we did the build up for the chorus on that song, and I'd gotten with the band and suggested that we REALLY build it up. ( Bomp, Bomp, Bomp..) The Cop Wannabe singer came in as wimpy as I though he would, and I busted up laughing. He was pretty steamed later on, but I reminded him "with just a 'special' look" that unlike his cap gun looking glock he would hide in his amp, that I had a S&W45 ACP revolver IN my pocket.

I loved that one.

Not to mention the Song.

"Yeah, I'm well known, throughout the Honky Tonk Crowd."

The irreverent exuberance I got from him, DW, and a couple others has gotten me through a lot of gigs. Maybe through other parts of my small but special life as well.

I think maybe it's like the high part of bi-polar. Maybe it is. But there's no denying...

THE HIGHS ARE SO GREAT!!

Thanks Don West. Thanks Donny Young. Thanks James Clayton.

(Well there's our "three" huh..)

Let's hope the highs in this life were just a taste of the glory to come, and that the lows are all left behind us here. That's where the divine forgiveness part comes in. According to popular belief.

So says Me.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2003 12:26 am    

Jukebox Charlie/steel break/key of Bb/E9th pedal steel

(Bb)
1.___25_____________23_____________19_____________16_____________11
2._________________________________________________________________
3.______23~b~23~b~23___19~b~19~b~19___16~b~16~b~16___11~b~11~b~11
4._25______________________________________________________________
5._________________________________________________________________

(F) (Bb)
1._____16~~~~~~~~_____16~~~~~~16~~~~~~~~_________
2._______________________________________________
3._______________________________________________
4._______________________________________________
5._____16~1/2a~16_____16~1/2a_16~1/2a~16~________
6._16b____________16b____________________16b__13b

(Bb)
1._13____13________________________
2.______________13L~~~~____________
3.______________13~~~~~____________
4.____13____13____________13____13_
5.______________13a~~13___13~a__13a
6.________________________13b___13b

Ricky
Eric West

Post  Posted 21 Feb 2003 1:33 pm    

Thanks. I'll print and take it with me this weekend. That stuff was classic. Some of the LDG type stuff that always brings me out of a "slump".

I remember the tone was one where you'd boost the hell out of the "presence" and cut the high mids leaving a real "edge". At least on a Peavey.

I'm trying to write out a couple of tabs, but haven't had much time or luck..
Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2003 11:23 am    

Probably not too many of you go back as far as I do concerning Johnny.
I first seen Johnny at a George Jones concert in Lacrosse, Wis. in 1960.
He was playing steel for George. The show also featured Patsy Cline shortly after her accident and still on crutches.
A bad promotion with about 10 people there.
Bob and I sat in the front row and ole Jones said that even though no one was there, he was still going to put on a show and by golly, they did.
Of course, throughout the years after that I seen Johnny many times in Tootsie's in Nashville, but, my first memory is that Sunday in Lacrosse when I first seen Donny Young. He was one of my top three favorites.
Dave Burley
Jerry Sherbahn

Georgetown, Tx
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2003 2:47 pm    

I seen Paycheck when I was in the army in Germany in 1965, I was playing in a counrty band there. He was front-man and bass player for George Jones and I seen him sing 'A-11' and knew he was going to make it big time.
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 11:49 am    

Ricky D-thanks for that tab Eric W-you said..."unlike his cap gun looking Glock"..."I had a S&W 45 ACP revolver"...-A little off the subject but I just love S&W wheelguns My first weapon (bought the day I turned 21) was a Model 19 that I used though my initial police firearms training-I am confident that my Smith would not fail me if ever needed-But don't "knock the Glock"-out of a Safariland thumb break high ride holster-I can draw and fire the Glock in just about a second-IMHO the Glock is faster and more accurate in repeatative target acquisition (for rapid fire and double taps) than any other handgun that I have owned or fired-A few years back I was allowed to be a shooting participant in the O.L.P.D. pistol evaluations in search of a possible department issue or authorized 9MM-I submitted my Beretta 92F for the testing against other makes-The Glock (Model 17) was given the highest marks in the end and was then widely adopted for our dept use

[This message was edited by PAUL WARNIK on 25 February 2003 at 03:03 PM.]

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 2:16 pm    

In the late 60s Johnny made an appearance in Hampton, Va. at the Kecoughtan High School auditorium. He shared the show with another singer known as Johnny Dollar. to make a long story short, I was the steeler in the band that was selected to back up these two acts. Johnny was covered up by all the fanfare and prevented me from talking to him one on one. As we got on with the show (no rehearsal), he busted out with A-11 and was pleased with the bands performance and I could see him start to loosen up. He followed that with Touch My Heart and continued to perform a lot of songs I was not too familiar with. All said and done the show was a roaring crowd pleaser and Johnny took the time to compliment me on the steel work. I Think Bodbbe Seymour may have been in the audience that night. I was playing 9 string Sho~Bud that that Bobbe had loaned me to use. I had to convert to an E9th from C6th just for this show. Are you listening Bobbe?

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

[This message was edited by Kenny Dail on 25 February 2003 at 02:18 PM.]

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 2:54 pm    

Around 1960 we would go to Hank Newmans pizza palace in Gahanna,Ohio after the Saturday night gig and watch Donny Young and the band crowd into the corner and play from 2 to about 5am. If Donny wasn't enough, Sonny Curtis and Jimmy Crawford would have their steels faceing each other. I loved those nights. It was real magic.
Eric West

Post  Posted 25 Feb 2003 4:33 pm    

Paul.. I know, and I hesitate to make people think that I "pack heat"... I rarely do unless it's a real "syringe in the parking lot" deal and there's a lady to help load out.

You'd have to know E H. He's a bass player that spent his whole life wanting to be a cop. I think more than anything to arrest as many people as he could. IN doing so he took ever self defense course known to man, and did finally get on as a reserve cop, and transported people already in custody. Over tha last twenty years I've come to know him as somebody I constantly grab by the shoulders and gently wiggle him and tell him to "loosen up".

One night, just for the hell of it I brought my S&W Model 625 5" 45.ACP to the gig and had it in the pocket of my flight jacket. Afterwards I asked him if he had his "gun". Of course he did, though he corrected me calling it his "weapon". It was indeed in violation of our CWP laws, off his person, in his amp. I asked if I could see it. He suavely showed me his glock. I couldn't hep it. I said, "Well, the way I look at it, if you are going to shoot a fella, you owe him the dignity of shooting him ( as I slipped out the 39 ounce .45) with something that doesn't look like a friggin cap gun" ( laughing with the rest of the guys...)

It's my favorite besides my 586 SW. I had a Colt 45 and couldn't hit a thing with it. Besides figuring that any "gun battle" that I'd ever plan ( against all hope) to be in would find me shooting and running, either forward or backward, and I realised that having one under a cocked hammer wouldn't be my first choice. It shoots straighter than any auto I tried and I like the safety of a revolver..

In my Steel Playing career ( such as it has been) I've only carried a gun on purpose on one gig. Before I got to know him better this little guy I've mentioned from Oildell ( sp?)_ came up here and played with us. He played bass on the other side of the stage. He and the guitar player didn't get along, and one night he took a swing at him with his bass, and hit the railing in front of me as they passed. About that time the GP emptied out his necked base glass coffee cup and held it by the bottom about ready to break it and gut him out. I stepped in and calmly said what I had to to keep it down at the time..

Right after that, the bass player showed me his 5 shot .22 that he said was going to get pulled out if anything like that happened again. After that I went out and got a 9 shot 22 auto and always kept it in my suit coat pocket..

Well, at one rehearsal, our front lady/boss asked me if I indeed was always "packing". I refered to the "incident" and told her not to worry, that I'd drill whoever pulled a gun out at least 5 times before they hit the ground. She allowed as how her objection was mainly that she and two other people were in between us on stage...

I told her I could see her point, and started keeping it in my briefcase...

Another good time was when I was going to a target practice from work before going home and I had a small armory in my extra briefcase.

As we loaded out, I was BSing with the rotund young black guy we all knew and liked, Greg Green,that managed the Truck Stop. I had him come over, and told him that I wanted to show him something. I mentioned that since there had been a few fights there lately that I wanted to let him know that "I had it all covered". I showed him my half dozen "heaters". He told me that somehow he wasn't all that reassured....

No, I rarely carry a gun at all anymore. Shooting people isn't the way to solve every problem.

With my day job usually being one of the most dangerous I can think of, I don't feel that threatened by situations I come across in truck stops. I guess it comes with age..

I never did end up shooting anybody, but it was always nice to know that I didn't have to take any arguments over "tuning" or "rythym" any farther than I wanted to....

Love that 625.

Almost as much as my Sho~Bud and my Johnnie Paycheck records. (Topical Content)

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2003 6:39 am    

"I hate to make people think I pack heat"..."I had a small armory in my extra briefcase" -Eric I am far from anyone who would deny your right to carry as a law abiding citizen especially if you are a professional truck driver since you mentioned the situations in truck stops-one of my best friends is a driver who has had to pull old sparky out to defuse a bad situation on more than one occaison

[This message was edited by PAUL WARNIK on 26 February 2003 at 03:34 PM.]

Eric West

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2003 4:06 pm    

Oh, I know, but there are so may defendaphobes out here...

In the more than twenty years of being at the same truckstop, I've found that most situations are merely somebody wanting to yell at someone, and given half a chance, almost anybody will opt to save face and walk away..

My day job is such loading pavers rollers etc, that I make sure I've left all my checks signed when I leave the house. It's gotten worse as the economy has gotten worse. I reminded one hard ass guy that was kind of giving me a hard time that if he saw what I do all day, he'd be kind of embarrassed at think I was afraid of getting "beat up".

In my book though, there's only one thing that is worse than shooting somebody, even as a last resort. That's needing to and not having a gun....

As somebody mentioned, somebody in JP's band gave him the gun he "got in trouble" with.

Maybe another string might be "How Many Steel Players bring guns to their gigs?" "Why?" "Are there some that are so bad that you wouldn't trust yourself with one within reach?"

A now deceased local guy that "nearly made it big", Jimmy Patton was one that I would stop by his gigs and sit in. He'd invariably take me over to the back of the bandstand and we'd compare whatever new guns that we had. It was kind of a "bonding" thing....

They are a lot like "other" instruments. I think they'd belong more on the "percussion" section. ( as maybe in 'drummers')

[This message was edited by Eric West on 27 February 2003 at 07:28 AM.]

Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2003 3:00 am    

Johnny will be missed. I used to pick with him at the "Blue Room" in Hacienda Heights, CA on occasion in the sixties. Later played on a few of his recordings Billy Sherrill did with him. One of a kind he is. Best, Boomer