Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shania
Mac Lloyd

St. George, Utah
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2002 8:02 pm    

Shania!

We regret the misunderstanding!

Our performance relations coordinator dropped the ball. I can imagine your disappointment after preparing such a spectacle for MTV, just to find at the last minute you were scheduled as the opening act for the CMA awards.

With the expense that you had put into this production, how could we ask you at the last minute to make changes?

Please give our apologies to your band as well. We obviously hadn’t afforded them the time to make a costume change. We can only imagine their embarrassment as the curtains went up to find themselves in front of hundreds of hard working country stars.

Again, our sincere apologies.

We have enclosed a check for $2000 and suggest that it be used to buy your steel player a hairbrush and some lessons.

As always we appreciate the opportunity seeing your performance, and never tire of watching you.

CMA Staff
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2002 8:52 pm    

This is a total biased and unfair evaluation of Shania's performance as well as that of her steel player. Anyone who didn't see it may think the steel player was bad, when in fact he was excellent, playing a bunch of simple but effective lines to help orchestrate the song. And Shania's show is always about spectacle, and she does it very well. And her songs rock out alot, but in fact have interesting musical arrangements that typically use country-based instrumentation. Country music is very produced and has been rocking out for years. Hill, McGraw, Keith, Chesny, they all rock out. In fact, if you want to blame anyone, you can go back a decade when folks like Vince Gill, Patti Loveless, Jody Messina, Martina McBride, Steve Wariner, etc. etc. were putting more and more rock songs on their country CD's. And they were just reflecting the wishes of the producers who clearly believe that this is what the buying public wants, and are shown to be correct but the increasing record sales. It may be politically correct to lambaste Shania, but at least she has steel and fiddle, which is more than can be said of some of the other big acts. This is an unfair and misleading post.
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2002 8:54 pm    

Easy now.Whatever you think of Shania!The steeler did his job.He coped the record.As for his hair I never got the chance to see him.

I enjoyed Shania's song much more than I did Vince Gill's.Where was his steel player? That's right the song didn't call for one.

Edit. Sorry to sound redundant. Jeff beat me to the punch.

[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 06 November 2002 at 09:01 PM.]

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2002 9:37 pm    

Strange, if these "rock out " performers are so great, why did the more tradional orientated win practically all the awards ? Hopefully, the record company exec's , producers, and Gaylord will wake up and smell reality as to what the people like to hear. Jody.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2002 10:03 pm    

She has NOTHING to do with country people or real country music. She's a fabrication. She needs to carry Allison Kraus's fiddle case for awhile.
Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2002 10:12 pm    

Quote:
She has NOTHING

......She has SUBLIMINAL PELVIC MOVEMENT.
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2002 10:13 pm    

Allison Kraus is great.But she sounds more Blue grass than country to me.Could be wrong though.
Uwe Haegg

Hilleroed, Denmark
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 1:35 am    

What`s wrong with blue grass?

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 2:11 am    

Ho,there Mike.....

Still got a bit of red blood in you,I see.

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 4:12 am    

Im with Jody on this one. With Allen Jackson doing so well you would think the producers would wake up and smell the coffee. Traditional country with steel and fiddles. Oh yeah thats the ticket! Allison Kraus I didnt care too much for even if she does play a fiddle. Just my opinion.

Rick
Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 5:56 am    

Allison Krause is Bluegrass and has the most traditional,prettiest voice out today.

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 6:33 am    

Allison also has the "Musician Of The Year" in her band and Jerry Douglas sure ain't a bad choice!!
Jerry
Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 6:38 am    

I think Allison Krause is great and whatever she is, Bluegrass/Country it's evident that she certainly isn't rock, pop or roll in the straw!
JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 7:17 am    

Alan Jackson is a huge success not because of his style, but because he's got something you just don't see much anymore-he's a KILLER songwriter. The rule of thumb is that a real good song will work with just guitar and vocal, and his do. He chooses to present them in a traditional country format, and thank God for that, but really, those songs would be hits if they were done by Korn.

And there's nothing wrong with Shania. I kind of like her-and she's not doing anything Sawyer Brown hasn't been doing for a decade. She and Mutt are a good songwriting team as well, and I'm sure she'll generate some hits as well as some much needed heat on the new country scene. Of course-I kind of like some of the new country stuff, your mileage may vary...

JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Mullen Royal Precision D-10 8 & 5
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

http://www.nrpsmusic.com/index.html

[This message was edited by JB Arnold on 07 November 2002 at 07:18 AM. man, i can't spell today!]

[This message was edited by JB Arnold on 07 November 2002 at 07:18 AM.]

[This message was edited by JB Arnold on 07 November 2002 at 07:19 AM.aarrrrggghhhh!]

[This message was edited by JB Arnold on 07 November 2002 at 07:20 AM.]

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 8:11 am    

At least Shania's music is not copying, she is the trentsetter! And that's honest. Maybe there is a lot overproduced, according to the most countryproducts, but I don't think it's mentioned to be country, it's just ..... music!
Maybe the generation-gap has a part in this thread, you love it, or not.
Her steelplayer is Marc Muller, on Derby steelguitar.
JJ

------------------
Click on the pic!
kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 10:39 am    

No matter how you slice it....She is hot, her opening number was hot...period. Her music production is as slick as any music in any genre... Whether it's good for nashville or killing it, is another interesting topic..but she's a real contender in the total music scene..
Dave Birkett

Oxnard, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 12:18 pm    

Brad Paisley had a tele sound to die for!

[This message was edited by Dave Birkett on 09 November 2002 at 12:40 AM.]

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 3:00 pm    

I didn't see the show, they don't televise it here.
However, I did see Shaniah's new clip and thus heard one of latest songs.

Same warmed over 1980s gloss pop with a big dumb ass beat with supposedly catchy chorus and word play. I worked in a shop (until last week) for almost two years where I was subjected to top #40 pop that socially inept 14 year olds buy without prejudice.
Shania's stuff sounds corny even compared to that, at least in my humble opinion.
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 3:13 pm    

"We have enclosed a check for $2000 and suggest that it be used to buy your steel player a hairbrush and some lessons."

Geez, nice welcome to the forum for him, whoever he might be. Glad you can make such a decision on his playing after only one song....
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2002 4:19 pm    

The steel sounded great, and the player doesn't need any lessons. I'm glad to hear steel guitar on this kind of stuff.
Do you think Shania's track was pre-recorded? I do. So were some of the others, I think.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 8:45 am    

Quote:
"We have enclosed a check for $2000 and suggest that it be used to buy your steel player a hairbrush and some lessons."

Well, the guy is good enough to play with one of the major recording artists in the world today. And isn't her steel player still Marc Muller? If so, he's a forumite and also an excellent musician on steel and guitar. I was impressed with the list of artists he's worked with in genres other than country.

But whoever the steel player is, again, he's working with a major, major performer. I could say that my suggestion would be to whoever wants to send 2 grand to the guy for lessons might be wise to save the 2 grand for lessons FOR HIMSELF until he reaches the level where someone who actually performs for a living would hire him.

I COULD say that, but of course, that's not my style.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 08 November 2002 at 08:47 AM.]

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 9:08 am    

i was told long ago, when i was shootin' my mouth off and criticizing so and so about his playin', that he was up on stage doin' it and i was'nt.
Merci Monsieur Steiner for the right thang !

------------------
Steel what?

[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 08 November 2002 at 09:09 AM.]

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 9:13 am    

Jason, if I'm to understand that you've escaped that shop, I congratulate you. And concede that you are a better man than I for being able to take it for two years. I would have probably gone insane and would be a drooling imbecile by this point.
Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 9:40 am    

Okay, here we go again. I'm jumping in a defending another superstar(over thirty million sold)that I had the privilege of recording with. When I got called to play on a couple days of the "Come on Over" sessions I was a bit sceptical of this young ladies true abilities. My doubts were completely erased as I worked with her and Mutt Lange. Like Garth Brooks she was the first to arrive and the last to leave. She sang every run through(all day long) and she had lots of great ideas. Enough of that.
For those of you out there in Cyber world who might not know it ,I have an alter ego as a songwriter and producer. I've had quite a few major cuts both pop and country(George Jones, George Straight, Garth ,Mark Wills)and I've produced a couple of pretty good albums also, most notably the "Mama's Hungry eyes" project on Arista.I guess what I'm trying to say from both a steel and songwriters perspective is that Shania's new song is a brilliant piece of work.Granted it's no "Grapes of Wrath" lyrically but it has a great melody especially in the b section and chorus. Paul's steel work is incredibly hooky. All in all it's going to be a big home run for her and consequently a home run for the steel guitar.
Also I know that Mutt Lange would never have anyone in the band that wasn't an
excellant musician. So I would'nt even consider doubting Marc Muellers ability. On top of that I've heard him play live and he sounds fantastic.
I would suggest that everyone who is so quick to trash Shania and Garth as the destroyers of country music keep in mind that they have had lots of prominent steel guitar on all of their records.Can you say that about alot of our other country artists that are being played on the radio? Garth and Shania have exposed steel guitar to alot of folks. Is that a bad thing?
BB
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2002 9:53 am    

amen, Bruce!
JJ