| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Weekend Warrior to Road Warrior
Harold Bullard

Harrisonville, MO 64701 USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 6:08 am    

I've been offered the opportunity to join a road band for a brand new Nashville act. I would appreciate opinions from those who have made that transition before. Would you do it again if you had it to do over? What are the upsides and downsides to being in a touring band?

My wife is pushing me to do it, but fear of the unknown has made me very apprehensive, since I would have to quit my day job. Any comments will be helpful.
Jim Florence

wilburton, Ok. US * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 6:50 am    

Harold, No one can help you with that decision. It depends on your financial condition. Here are some clues though. If your wife is for it, give it an A+, hundreds of road musicians would give anything to escape the hell of wanting to pick, and the wife nagging all the time. I have been extremely lucky in that department, my wife of 47 years still thinks I pick as well as B.E.[ I don't allow anyone to tell her the truth. If you can afford it and don't do it, you will never forgive yourself.
Don't depend on much financial success out of a new act. When I retired from the USAF, I went on the road with what was then called the "Northern Circuit" I loved it when the show was on, but the days were boring as hell. They all slept all day, and me being freshly retired couldn't sleep past 6 A.M. Got picked up by the police twice in Aimes Iowa, going for a walk early in the morning. Looked suspicious to the cops.
If you don't have kids that are going to starve, go for it. If you wait til all the pieces are put together, You'll never go.
Sorry to ramble, but if I were your daddy, I'd say yes, but I'd be aware that I might have to make a couple of your house payments for you. I still have to make my son's house payments once in a while, but then [what are daddys for?]
Hope this helps
Jim
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 7:28 am    

You might want to read steel guitarist Howard White's factual book "All Roads out of Nashville". It gives quite an accurate insite into what all is involved behind the scenes for road-musicians.

I failed to take the invitation to leave town with Ray Price's band....was invited by Leon Rhodes personally. I had a wife, a house, a DAY JOB, membership in the National Guard, etc. I passed and have been dis-illusioned ever since.

But then again, I have a home, nice things, never found myself along side the highway in some dark, remote, unfamiliar area as a result of something I said. No drunken musicians to have to put up with everyday, etc.

You only get one chance, usually. If you're a gambler, GO FOR IT! Good Luck and much fun to you!