| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  National New Yorker pickup-problem
emil noothout

Amsterdam, Netherlands
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2003 10:14 am    

A friend of mine bought a pre-war National New Yorker lapsteel with a strange pickup-problem. The lower (wound)strings do sound far too soft and thin compared to the higher strings. I already posted a question on the electronics-section, and there it was suggested that either the strings or the magnets would cause the problem. I've tried different strings, switched the position of the magnetic screws, brought those screws closer to the strings, but nothing helped. When i did put one of the lower strings on the position of the second string however, it sounded fine. The DC-resistance of the pickup is 3.95K. My questions: Is anyone familiar with the construction of these pickups? Are the screws the magnets? If not, is it a split magnet or something like that, and where is it located? Is the coil intact? The pickup looks like this: The pickup, with 6 magnetic screws, is on top of the strings instead of under it. It is sitting on a metal construction which "surrounds" the strings. Any comment is welcome.
Jason Lollar

Seattle area
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2003 11:31 am    

I havent seen every National pickup but the two types I have worked on are the type in the chicagoan and the type in the dynamic. Both types were used in several models and for several manufacuters.
The dynamic type either has two split bobbins or 6 individual bobbins depending on the year made with two external magnets, one on each end. These are supposed to read around 6K. Its common for one of the coils to short out and you could have one of the magnets flipped in the wrong direction. Its also common that your strings are not properly aligned over the screws because the bridge was not typically notched.
The other type has one coil and has a magnet located in the middle of each long side of the coil and each magnet has a steel reflector bar over the top. I cant think of any reason the bass side would be weak on that pickup except for string alighnment over the poles.
I would like to see what pickup the new yorker has!
Buck Dilly

Branchville, NJ, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2003 12:56 pm    

I have had four or more similar National Steels. On one of these, the pickup went "south" on me. It did a similar thing, losing volume on certain strings. My tech could not figure it out and I tried a variety of strings guage as you did. I can't even use it, but I keep it hoping for a replacement pickup or a solution. I was wondering if the magnetism on the pole screws got differentially messed up. THe pickup still sounds good just unbalanced.

[This message was edited by Buck Dilly on 10 July 2003 at 01:57 PM.]

emil noothout

Amsterdam, Netherlands
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2003 12:11 am    

Thanks for the replies, Jason, it's not the alignment, i've checked that. When i have more precise information about the pickup i will post it', but it's not mine, and i don't know if the owner will allow me to dissemble it.