| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Junior Purser/ Mark Matoska
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 19 May 2002 4:45 pm    

One of my bands, The Gigantics, played at the Detroit Hoedown today. No money, but great stage, great crowd and great weather (for a change). Lots of headliners, like George Jones and Tracy Byrd.

The other bands ranged from local (us) to Nashville baby bands (can't remember names, mostly schlock-rock called country) to headliners.

We played first, after which I met a couple of road players. Met steel guitarist Junior Perser from Tennessee, he's with Anthony Smith. Junior's played with Lorrie Morgan and done a lot of theatre shows, The Ronnie Milsap Theatre and Pigeon Forge were the ones I remembered.

Also met Mark Matoska the steeler from Tracy Byrd's band. Nice guy. Got some favorable comments on our songs and my steelin' which was nice to hear. I overplayed as the Tele guy in our band is ailing.

Anybody know Junior and Mark?

cheers,
Drew Howard

------------------
www.newslinkassociates.com
www.drewhoward.com

[This message was edited by Drew Howard on 19 May 2002 at 05:46 PM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 19 May 2002 5:05 pm    

I know Mark, his brother Mike, and his momma and daddy real well. He used to come out all the time and see me play with Texas Fever during the early 80's and I figured he would make a steel player one day, since he stood right on the edge of the stage and absorbed everything. He didn't play locally very long before he got on Tracy's band and he's stayed for 10 years or more now. I haven't heard from him in a long time, but he was one of the nicest young men central Texas has produced.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 19 May 2002 7:05 pm    

Quote:
he was one of the nicest young men central Texas has produced.

Ditto for Mike... I've worked with him a good bit around the Austin area. Great bunch of folks...

------------------
Home Page

Howard Kalish

Austin, Tx USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 7:50 am    

I worked with Mark and Mike in their band Country Roads in the mid-80's. Mark was starting to get the hang of the steel back then and got better every time we played. Great guy and now a excellent player. Perseverance pays off. Also, his mom and dad were very supportive and were their biggest fans. Haven't seen either Mark or Mike in quite a while.