| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lloyd Green, Don Helms and Hank Williams
Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2002 7:14 pm    

Last night at the NTSGA Superjam was featured Don Helms and Lloyd Green playing nothing but Hank Williams songs. Don played them like he originally did with Hank and Lloyd would then play them like they would be played today using pedals. This was one of the most entertaining sets that has been featured at the Bell Cove Superjam. Every song featured was a familiar Hank Williams song that everyone had heard before. Don would introduce each song and tell a little about each and about recording it with the legendary Hank Williams. This was a show that cannot be described if you weren't there. Don and Lloyd signed each song with their style and signature licks and drew a standing ovation at the end of the set. It was almost like going back in history and listening to it being written last night. I just had to brag a little on these two wonderful players. A final note, neither Don nor Lloyd played "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" the way B.J. Thomas tries to sing it. They did it the RIGHT way!!!
Red Kilby

Pueblo, CO, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2002 9:42 pm    

Hi Mike, I wish I could have been there. I only hope that someone did record this wonderful event. I am anxious to hear it if they did. HINT HINT<<<<<<<<<. www.redkilby.com
Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2002 3:57 am    

I did attend and had to leave after the first song in Lloyd and Dons set.Buddy was even there.I saw him walk by and wanted to say something to him butlost the ole nerve.I guess seeing all these steel guitar giants in one place,made me feel so small.Oh well I will try to work the courage in july.I also hope a tape was made also.I would gladly buy a copy.
Ric Nelson

Silver Spring, Maryland
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2002 4:38 am    

All I can say is WOW, that must have been something to see. Maybe someone around my neck of the woods could con them into doing it again.

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2002 5:03 am    

Ric,
You said it all. WOW!!!

BTW Lloyd, You guys DID "get the job done"

Bob
Bob Collins

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2002 8:00 pm    

Mike, there is music and there is magic. Tuesday night, the wizards were casting their spells. After the show, I thanked Don for sharing those songs and memories with us all. And I thank him again, now. He and Lloyd together were pure magic!
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2002 10:53 am    

Hey Bob,
Welcome to this "zoo" they call the forum. At times,you'll love it, & at times,you'll hate it, but you'll always find it interesting.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Bob Collins

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2002 1:20 pm    

Thanks for the welcome, Smiley! Bobby gave me my password back in January, and though I do log in from time to time just to read up on the "latest", I guess this was the first time I have felt I just had to leave a note. Tuesday night was more than just "special".
Dennis Atkins

St. Paul, Minnesota
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2002 3:39 pm    

I don't wish to open old wounds, or even begin to start a war of words, but this event, and others like them, need to be put on video. These legends that are putting on these performances, should have these performances preserved for posterity. Somehow, they should be recorded and used for reference material to those who might wish to see them. I do not suggest selling them, but preserving them in some form so that if someone ever wanted to do a book on the history of the steel guitar and its players, they would have some way of seeing these performers do their thing and be able to record impressions and historical information to whoever might wish to read the material.

I was able to see Kayton Roberts, Herb Remington and Leonard T. Zinn perform in a non-pedal set in Atlanta a few years ago, and it was not allowed to be videotaped for posterity. For those of us, not located in Nashville, and unable to attend these performances at the Bell Cove, the accessibility to a video, even audio ,of these events, would give us all a chance to hear, or see, what we missed.

I would hope that those who organize these types of events would consider recording these programs for future review by the steel guitar community, or others who may be interested in seeing these performances.

Thanks,

Dennis

------------------
MSA S-10 Sidekick
Gorilla Amp with MR-1 Effects Processor
pedalman@msn.com
visit our web page for Minnesota Steel Guitar Association
www.geocities.com/mnpedalman/index.html