| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Remember the "lemons to lemonade" routine..
Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2002 3:55 pm    

So many people are concerned about the future of the steel and many are even a bit cranky about the lack of steel in the public eye. Things have changed everywhere and in many ways, especially the economics of the music industry. Sales may be up here and there for some but the overall sales are way down from several years ago. Unfortunately, cutbacks are too common a way of life for a lot of good people, steel players included. Artists cut back every place they can. If you ask fiddle players they will say they are first to go and the same for steel players and so on. Several artists are even going on tour as a package using only one band. All to save money and increase profits. I truly don't believe it's intended to be personal. I could guarantee that if sales went back through the roof, a lot more musicians, including steel players, would be back at it in a big way.
Remember that old story about the person who is given lemons and they make a positive thing out of it by making lemonade? I see this as a time of looking closely at what we do and how we do it. When things get desperate, people seem to find new ways to make things happen...music, jobs, happiness, etc... Maybe, just maybe we can all look at what seems as a depressing (and angering) situation and find new ways to do what we do. For example, you want to be center stage? Start your own band, be the leader, setup in the front and go out and find places to sell what you do. Don't wait on an artist from Nashville to give you the spotlight...create one yourself. I'm saying all of this for myself to hear too.
I think there's a lot of new stuff (not just music) that will emerge because of the downturn in economics and jobs. Blues songs?...I'm sure, but a lot of other cool things as well. Take these lemons and turn them into something cool.
OK....I'm kinda finished.

Mike
Leigh Howell

Edinburgh, Scotland * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2002 4:04 pm    

Well said Mike.
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2002 5:27 pm    

Yeah, buddy...
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi