| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many Historic Steel Guitars?
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2002 4:01 pm    

I was wondering about this so I thought I would post it up just for interest sake. How many Historic Steel Guitars are owned by forum members? I have two.

Rick
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2002 4:19 pm    

Do you mean historic as to owned by a Hall of Famer or the one that did the famous into and solo to "......"? Or as an example, Barbara Mandrell's Wright Q-10 could be a historic guitar and it doesn't fit the previous catagories, nor do I own it. I do have 5 and possibly 6 others that were owned by historically significant players.
Bill Bailey

Kingman, AZ
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2002 4:37 pm    

Rick,
I have a Sho-Bud I consider to be a historic guitar, since the body was built for Shot Jackson by his sons as a gift that was never finished by the boys. It was converted to a push pull Emmons mechanically by Bobbe Seymour,and has THAT SOUND it is a D-10 with 7 floor pedals and 5 Knee levers. It is one of the most beautiful looking guitars I have ever seen and has the words inlayed that say "MR SHO-BUD" Most of the history of this guitar was given to me by Tommy White and Bobbe Seymour. I have a 1994 Emmons LeGrande that I dearly love and that Emmons is in the case while I keep the Sho-Bud at home to play for the Joy of it. I do have to tinker with it from time to time but the thrill and tone of this one of a kind guitar is worth the time. I call this guitar a Sho-Em-Mour, since it is a Sho-Bud-Emmons-Seymour. Just thought I would share that with you. Take care .
Bill Bailey

------------------

[This message was edited by Bill Bailey on 18 February 2002 at 05:14 PM.]

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2002 4:55 pm    

Chas, good point... after all in a sense every Bigsby would be historic, and the Wright steels due to their rare nature.

What about the Fender that Buddy Emmons returned, would that be an infamous steel?
Okay, I'm being silly, but in a way it's a hard definition to make.
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2002 5:06 pm    

Historic as in a guitar that made history. Jimmy Days Blue Darlin would qualify sor sure. How about Buddys first Shobud or something similiar. Cool stuff the history of this instrument we all enjoy.

Rick
Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2002 7:03 pm    

I can come awfully close! I have the Sho-Bud that was built next after Buddys first Sho-Bud, & I call it #3 au
Gary Harris

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2002 8:17 pm    

Back in the summer I was driving past a well known steel guitarist's home. He happened to be cutting his grass. I stopped and introduced myself to him and we had a nice chat. He said his original guitar is heard in some place in the world every minute of the day. (Recording of course) He said that his guitar is promised to a museum that has promised to pay his widow $100,000 for that guitar upon his death. He was gracious enough to let me go back to my car to get my camera and take several photograps of him. Due to my stupidity I later discovered that my camera did not have film in it. It is my understanding that Byrd's original guitar is in the Country Music Hall of fame. What do you think it would be worth to a collector?
Jason Stillwell

Caddo, OK, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2002 8:38 pm    

I own Tommy White's Emmons that his dad bought for him at age 10. His first steel, I assume.
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2002 9:50 pm    

I have the D10 , 7/3 , ZB that Zane Beck built for Bobby Garrett in the 60's. Bobby once told me he switched to ZB after hearing Brumley play one. The tone is incredible. Bobby played the guitar up til 1970, and I played it til about 1976. I also have Bobby's Twin Reverb amp. Jody.
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2002 5:36 am    

Hey Jody, looking forward to hearing you play in Dallas in March. Man hang onto that ZB for me. Its next on the hit list.

Rick
David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2002 5:44 am    

Weldon Myrick was the first owner of my '71 Emmons.