| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I sat in with......
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2002 8:26 pm    

I sat in with the gospel quartet, THE DIXIE ECHOES of Pensacola, FL, this past weekend. What a memorable time! They band really seemed to appreciate the little things I did to try to enhance their sound. Stewart Varnado has to be one of the best pianists in Gospel Music! Can play just like Floyd Kramer! Randy Shelnut, Jr is absolutely one of the best bassists in the country! His dad, Randy Shelnut, Sr., is a fine musician, also. Lead guitar virtuoso and steel player! He recently acquired a 12-string Sho-Bud single on a double frame.

And their harmony was great! Playing with a quartet is the greatest challenge I have ever had as a steel guitarist. Anyone else know what I mean? Not a lot of spots to play?
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2002 8:58 pm    

Not a lot of spots to play and you have to be extra careful what you do play.Not as nearly as much freedom as say doing fills behind one singer.Been there done that.Enjoyed it as well.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2002 8:00 am    

Sometimes the gigs that don't have a lot of "SPOTS" are the best and the hardest to play. Sounds like you filled all the right spots. I remember many many years ago up in Waterbury Ct I was asked to donate my time and play in a benefit concert for a pair of teens who had been tragically killed in a car accident. I knew maybe one or two of the players , but not well. The leader asked me to just fill in a few spots here and there, no galloping solo's ( like I could play them anyway !) Thats exactly what I did and what he got, at the end of the gig the leader commented that I had played the best Steel he had ever heard . ????? Geeze, I didn't even remember playing anything ! Certainly not worthy of the best he had ever heard ! Evidently I played so little but in the right little spots , I guess...
TP