| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  many-stringed dobros & volume/pickup problems
Dirk B

Harrisburg, MO, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2003 8:03 pm    

I'm at the end of my rope. I've got this 10-string dobro in a G6 tuning with a flatted 3rd on top. I like the notes I can get out of it.

But tonight I couldn't play it electrically because it fedback at high volumes in this boomy club. So we walked around to play tableside acoustically; and then no one could hear me!

I guess the problem with more than 6 strings on a dobro is the strings pressing down on the cone and depressing the resonance. The problem with dobro pickups is that they don't seem to have any output (preamp didn't help either).

I had similar problems with my cheapo Regal for which I tried 2 different pickups and neither worked, but I just figured that was because it's a cheap dobro.

Let me put this succintly: DOES ANYONE MAKE A DOBRO WITH MORE THAN 6-STRINGS THAT PLAYS LOUD ACOUSTICALLY AND HAS A MOUNTED PICKUP THAT DOESN'T FEEDBACK? and doesn't cost 3 month's salary?

Sorry for the annoyed tone, but I'm beginning to think such a thing doesn't exist!
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2003 6:42 am    

What kind of pickup are you using? There should not be an issue driving a piezo P/U of some kind into a preamp. The pre will be a must though.

Feedback is another issue. I use one of the Sabine solo eliminators. Works very well. I read where Peavey now has an inexpensive option.

You won't have to buy another guitar..I promise.

HowardP

------------------
Howard Parker
poobah@resoguit.com
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT-L

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2003 5:41 pm    

I hear you man.

I have an 8 string G6 tuning. The fishman passive resonator pickup is pretty good with a good preamp, the Sabine solo feedback eliminator or, the LR Baggs feedback killer, or Peavey's feed back ferret, and a quality reverb like a Lexicon.

Gotta remember a resonator resonates! That's another word for feedback.

I tried my 6 string Dobro with Fishman reso pickup thru Peavey's feedback ferret, into a Peavey amp, and we cranked it up at the Dallas Show.
Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2003 1:27 am    

Hi Dirk,
I just remembered that when Paul Franklin Sr. was designing the pedabro, also a 10 string dobro, he wanted to use the standard E9 tuning for familiarity but opted for a D9 tuning because of too much pressure on the cone.
It might be something to try on your 10 string dobro as well by dropping to an F6 or even E6 tuning to lessen pressure on the cone.
It's just a thought as I am not a 10 string dobroist as of yet.
My Gibson J200 loves C#, though.

As far as pickups are concerned, my favorite combo is a McIntyre (old) into a small behringer mixer, into the normal channel of my Fender Dual Showman Reverb amp. My views concerning the new Fishman vs. the McIntyre can be found elsewhere on this forum.

Thanks, God Bless,
Michael T.

------------------
UTILITY MAN PRODUCTIONS
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE,
'85 DOBRO 60DS, '95 DOBRO F60S,
'95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1955 FENDER TRIPLE NECK STRINGMASTER. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps.

[This message was edited by Michael T. Hermsmeyer on 17 March 2003 at 01:30 AM.]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2003 1:48 pm    

A Dobro (6 strings or 10) is the hardest instrument to amplify. Nothing sounds as good as a mike, but acoustic pickups can give you a little more volume with less feedback. As mentioned above, a good preamp (possibly one better than the ones normally sold with Dobro pickups) and some kind of feedback eliminator with a notch sweep are essential for big rooms. Also, pay attention to where the monitors are - you really got to stay away from them and not point the resonator toward them.
Dirk B

Harrisburg, MO, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2003 6:08 am    

David,
What kind of preamp would you recommend? What's a "notch sweep"?
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2003 7:17 am    

Dirk, I'm not really up on the available preamps, if nobody here chimes in, talk with somebody at a big music store like Elderly or Musician's Friend. Dobro and acoustic guitar pickups typically come with little battery operated preamps you can hook on your belt. You want something better with its own power supply and with better EQ controls. A feedback control unit with a notch sweep can move an EQ (tone) notch around so you can find by trial and error the resonant frequency of your Dobro that is causing the feedback and put a notch right at that frequency alone. It wont affect your sound except to allow you to use much higher volume before you get feedback. Probably the ones mentioned above do this, and there are others. Again, ask a knowledgeable person at a big music store. There may be preamps that have this feature, or you may have to get a separate EQ unit that does this. If you research this and find something that works good, post it on the Forum and let us know. Sorry I can't be more specific - I know technically what you need but just don't know brand names and models. Good luck and happy Dobro picking.
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2003 8:19 am    

Dirk,

Amen to the above. I will list a couple of ways that I know from the least expensive up. I am sure there are other solutions.

LR Baggs. ParaAcoustic DI. Preamp, EQ, and has 2 notch filters that you can sweep thru the spectrum to find two offending freqs.
Very good unit. I can play my steel thru it!
About $150. 9 volt battery. XLR direct out to PA.

Sabine Electronics. "Solo" Still need a preamp in front of this, I think.

Peavey has some new acoustic amps that have this feedback prevention built in. Perfect for your application. I tried one!

Peavey Feedback Ferret. 1 rack space unit that will hear feedback before we can, and cut that frequency. As you move around on stage, it will continue to monitor and change as necessary. About $350. IT can handle more than one instrument/mic.

Check the websites and browse around.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.
Dirk B

Harrisburg, MO, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2003 9:17 pm    

Well, I picked up the LR Baggs ParaAcoustic DI based on Ron's advice above; there's a dealer selling these new on Ebay for a very good price.

This thing is fantastic. I haven't tried the dobro through it at club volume levels yet, but it seems to be a big help. Not only that, I tried my U12 steel through it before the Nashville 400 - wow! Talk about warmth! I had no idea how thin I was sounding straight through the amp. I'm really impressed. There's just no comparison with the the baseline Fishman preamp I was using.

[This message was edited hastily and then re-edited by Dirk B on 22 March 2003 at 09:18 PM.]

[This message was edited by Dirk B on 22 March 2003 at 09:21 PM.]