| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Identify this 7 string lap?
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 4:26 am    

Go to site: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/rout_geo/lst?.dir=/GUITARS/GUITARS2&.view=t

I've had this wooden beast for a few years. Sorry that my camera can't get any closer, but on the blue ribbon on the paghead, it says "Made In Canada". The pickup obviously has been changed. Has anybody a clue as to the brand?
Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 12:09 pm    

George: you sent me a photo of this one some time ago, as I recall. I've seen one or two similar instruments in Toronto, also with no brand name. They were cheaply made (someone's home shop projects, I expect), but it's always nice to see oddball instruments like this. I've also had no luck digging up any information on Maui lap steels, which I suspect were probably also made in southern Ontario. I briefly owned a cast aluminum one, and there's a wood one covered in an unusual marbalized green plastic in a second-hand shop on Queen Street. They're quite well made, but eccentric in almost every detail. I got mine from John Newman in Simcoe, so I expect there may be others down your way.

[This message was edited by Ian McLatchie on 02 February 2003 at 12:11 PM.]

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 12:11 pm    

George: you sent me a photo of this one some time ago, as I recall. I've seen one or two similar instruments in Toronto, also with no brand name. They were cheaply made (someone's home shop projects, I expect), but it's always nice to see oddball instruments like this. I've also had no luck digging up any information on Maui lap steels, which I suspect were probably also made in southern Ontario. I briefly owned a cast aluminum one, and there's a wood one
covered in an unusual marbalized green plastic in a second-hand shop on Queen Street. They're quite well made, but eccentric in almost every detail. I got mine from John Newman in Simcoe, so I expect there may be others down your way.
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 1:54 pm    

Yes Ian, thanks, it's the same beast I aske you about some time back. Just thought maybe somebody might have seen another. John Newman of Simcoe moved to British Columbia, and for some reason, took all the steel guitars with him from the store, selling the business to I think it's a chap that worked there, just in case you (or others in the north country) didn't know.