| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Danny Kuaana rocks Kailua
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 12:40 pm    

Last night collector Steven Frederick had another showing of 40s vintage soundies, this time at Kailua library of big band Hawaiian tunes. Most were typically laughable thanks to Hollywierds take on such, but one stood out by far. Danny led a hot combo thru a tune which evolved into an incredible extended and rocking ending, it absolutly smoked. Most folk do not relise the diversity of Hawaiian music and this particular piece shows it's not only what most percieve it to be. Also, Lani MacIntyre, with Sam Koki on steel did a pre Hilo Hattie version of The Cockeyed Mayor of Kaunakakai with the recently late Napua Woodd doing the crazy visual like nobody else could. I guess they are all gone now, but boy did they have fun. Mahalo Steven for allowing us to go back in time again to see what it was like.

------------------

[This message was edited by Ron Whitfield on 15 January 2003 at 12:44 PM.]

[This message was edited by Ron Whitfield on 16 January 2003 at 10:27 AM.]

seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 1:16 pm    

So how do you get these soundies??
Doug Smith show me some at HSGA and he can't remember where he got them - I'd love to get some?

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"There is no spoon"
www.seldomfed.com

Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 3:03 pm    

Me too!
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 3:23 pm    

Well guys, you won't get em from Mr. Frederick, he's overly(?)protective of his collection and there aren't many more to find anywhere. There are other collectors who have some of these, but he probably has the most. Many hundreds were made from 1940 to 46 to be shown in selective sites for 10 cents a pop, for which you usually got 3 per. They were the original 'music videos'. If I locate some sources for copies I'll get back to ya'll, they are mostly all very fun and some like the one with Danny are essential.

------------------
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 3:46 pm    

Thanks, Ron! I'd love to see them if you ever find some copies. After visiting Hawaii in December, I'm longing to move there!
Jack Byrd

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 7:12 pm    

Many on this forum may not know that Danny Kuaana was a part of the very first complete album of Hawaiian music recorded by Jerry Byrd. The album Nani Hawaii, first released in 78 rpm format, had with Jerry, Danny, George Nu and Mel Peterson each playing guitars and Al McIntire playing bass. Jerry and Danny as well as the others were very good long time friends. Danny had a most beautiful high falsetto voice. When Sonja Henie developed her famed hula dance feature which became a high point of her ice show, she engaged Danny Kuaana and his group “The Islanders” to travel with her wherever she went to insure the success of this single number. I had several opportunities to visit with Mel Peterson when he played at Don the Beachcomers in the International Market place back in the late fifties. One of Danny’s favorite songs on this album was Jerry’s rendition of Kimana Hila. No one could ever convince Danny or Mel that Jerry could not play Hawaiian. This tune just blew them away. Unfortunately neither of them are alive to attest to this fact today and put to rest some of the past discussions on this forum of Jerry’s lack of Hawaiian-ness in his playing. The old timers knew better. Nani Hawaii was re-released as "On The Shores of Waikiki".
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 10:25 am    

Jack, of all Jerry's media performances, did he ever do any of these soundies? Danny's great falsetto was a high point in the one I mentioned, so good in fact it immediatly made me forget the song title which I wanted to mention. Bernie Kaai played some great steel too, nice tone from his 2x8 Magnatone Lyric.

------------------
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 10:29 am    

Last edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 16 Jan 2018 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack Byrd

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2003 7:22 pm    

Ron,
I am not aware of Jerry doing any of the soundies that you mentioned. I will see that he gets asked this question and will answer, if he does.

Jerry does not sing much at all. He almost died of pneumonia when he was 20-21 years old and one of his lungs collasped and has remained that way his whole life. He has very little lung capacity for singing anything these days and has to stop to breath after three or four words when he speaks anymore. I do have a video of him singing with Dolly Parton on a special show she did in Hawaii some few years ago. That is the only time I have ever seen him sing on any show. She caught him by surprise and he had to sing with her. He did fairly good at it but nothing compared to playing the steel. He would never had made it as a singer that is for sure.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2003 8:32 pm    

I recall a number of years ago talking with Jerry during a break at the Halekulani at which time he stated the hotel management expected everyone in the trio to sing. Jerry did make a valiant attempt at singing. Alan Akaka and Casey Olsen, both great steel players, also try their best at singing, as did (the late) Barney Isaacs, Jules Ah See and Billy Hew Len. None of them could ever hope to replace Alfred Apaka ! (ha!)

[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 22 January 2003 at 08:33 PM.]