| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String guage recommendations for multiple tuning
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 8:54 am    

Here's my situation:

I want to string a 22.5" scale length (Ric Bakelite 6 string) with a set of strings that will enable me to play C6 (high E on top, C on the bottom) and also switch to E major and C#m. I'm using the SIT C6 set (.36 on the 6th string) which of course is way too light to tune to E (but I do it anyway, and it's ridiculously flabby).

I'm interested in hearing from people that use heavier gauge strings and make huge tuning changes (for instance, low E to C, 7 semitones) to find out what the heaviest might be that I can get away with and still tune to C6.

I'm familiar with John Ely's string gauge guide etc. But I know there must be someone on this forum that has experimented with much heavier guages then the "recommended" ones for a particular pitch and has had success.

Thanks in advance,

Bill
John Kavanagh

Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 9:11 am    

You're trying to get a minor sixth difference out of one string - hard on the strings, and hard to find the guage that will sound acceptable at both pitches. You might have to try compromise tunings that don't involve changing one string so much, like E7 with a B on the bottom: Bdeg#be.

The widest range I try to get out of a string is a major third, though sometimes a thicker string will give you a fourth that sounds good at the highest and lowest end if you gauge it in the middle. I sometimes tune the low G on mine down to E or even C - I use an .050 on the electric, which is too light for the C and a little on the tight side for the G.

I have my D8 strung up so that one neck is for tunings with close intervals and one is for the more spread-out ones.

[This message was edited by John Kavanagh on 15 January 2003 at 09:16 AM.]

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 9:30 am    

Good points John, and got me to thinking that maybe I should rephrase my question as:

"What is the heaviest string guages for 6 string C6 that folks are using and happy with?"

Starting with the premise that most of the strings will be detuned for the non-C6 tuning (with the exception of the second string for the C#m tuning and the third string for E major) this might be a better way to figure out what might work.
Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 10:05 am    

Bill, some tunings are too far apart from each other. Several lap steels that your happy with would be the solution I would think. I like Dick McIntire's F#9 tuning, but there is no way I can get C6 tuning to go there. Jerry Bird's tunings are pretty flexible, but for some tunings, they just need to have their own steel. i.e. "E13 Leon McAuliffe". I personally would rather have a quiver of lap steels with the heaviest gauge strings I could use so as to get that thick tone I crave. ...Good luck
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 10:42 am    

Jesee - you are probably right. And I do have several lap steels I'm very happy with.

One has thicker strings (the one I play in E, A, C#m) and the other is in C6 (the Ric). It's just that sometimes I want to play the lower tunings on the Ric and I don't want to make the "commitment" of restringing with heavier gauges and not have the flexibility to go back to C6.
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2003 6:11 am    

Hi Bill,

I think what you are hearing is something you and the rest of us have already learned through experience: tune a string more than 2 or 3 half tones below recommended pitch and it gets pretty hard to handle. I find those "flabby" strings hard to tune and hard to play. Increasing string diameter beyond that recommended for a certain pitch results in a string sounding dead, or "tubby" , and hard to play in tune.

To me, that's the unfortunate lot of the non-pedal steeler. Even if you are really good at changing tunings "on the fly", there will be some tunings that won't work well for a given set of string gauges. Of course, the solution is multiple necks. But the convienience and feel of a little 6-string lap is so nice.

One approach might be to get one of the lighter double necks, without legs, and pack it in a gig bag to keep overall weight down. Some double necks--especially double sixes-- can be comfortably played from the lap.

All that said, I think 2 or 3 halftones above or below recommended pitch for a given string diameter is the most you can vary and expect reasonable playability.

Good luck.