| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Detuning Dobro to F -- String Gauges?
Alan Kirk

Scotia, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2003 4:03 pm    

I've been thinking about tuning to an open F for two reasons:

1) I heard a recording of Josh Graves doing Amazing Grace. Seemed like he was tuned to an open F. I wanted to try it.
2) I want to be able to play things in G and have a couple of frets below to work with. (I can always capo to get back to the open G effect.)

So I detuned (downtuned?) to F to fool around, and I liked it. Now I want to change my string gauges. I've looked at some string gauge charts and here's what I came up with (from the highest pitched string to the lowest):

C/.18
A/.22
F/.30w or .32w
C/.42w
A/.56w
F/?w

I'd appreciate any comments on or adjustments to these choices before I go out and buy a new set of strings. I especially need help choosing the low F string. (I have a Regal RD45.)

Thanks.

------------------
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2003 6:24 pm    

b0b has a string gauge chart for pedal steel elsewhere on this site; it should work well for Dobro® too.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2003 9:01 pm    

I might be wrong, but from looking in a catalogue I have, the only ball-end strings available larger than the .056 are .058 and .060. If you're going to use a .054 on the second-to-lowest string, then it seems like the .060 would be the best bet for the lowest string.

With that said, though, I would wonder if you really needed to change the strings at all. For example, you'd only be lowering each string by one step, I guess. With a normal G tuning, you'd be using the .018 string for an open B note.

From your proposed tuning chart, you'd be using the .018 string for an open C note, which is, of course, half a step higher than the B it would normally be used for.

So, one way to think of it is that your proposed string gauges are a half step closer to the proper string gauge than if you used standard strings and just tuned them lower.

But, on the other hand, it's only a half step difference, AND, you're putting that much more tension on your neck, bridge, cone, etc.

Just something to think about, anyway
Kevin Macneil Brown

Montpelier, VT, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 7:56 am    

I've been tuning my Dobro in F for a while now, without changing to heavier strings.
To my ears, it makes for a "darker" sound that is especially nice for solo playing.
I also like the looser feel of the strings, along with the lower overtones that seem to bloom from the instrument.