| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Regal-Quarterman Mod -- Routing Necessary?
Alan Kirk

Scotia, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2003 12:46 pm    

Has anyone here on the Forum actually installed a Quarterman cone in a Regal RD45? Is routing necessary?

The Elderly catalog says the Regal has a 10-1/2" cone. The Quarterman is supposed to be 10-9/16". I remeber when I had my Regal apart, there was a bit of play. Seems like routing might not be necessary, but the Folk of the Wood page about Quarterman's mentions routing for Regals.

Who has done this?

Thanks.

------------------
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2003 3:06 pm    

I haven't done it myself. I'm sure you could get a proper answer on the Musical Instrument Makers Forum web site.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2003 3:52 pm    

Need to be routed
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. A Dremel in a router base and a bit of care will do the trick.
Gregg McKenna

South Windsor, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2003 6:58 pm    

On some of the Regals, you may need to use a router to slightly widen the resonator opening for the wider Quarterman cone. On other guitars, the opening is ok as is (they are not consistant).

Another option is to trim a little material from the edge of the cone. A table mounted belt sander with a fine sanding belt works well for this, or you can sand a little material from the edge of the cone by hand with regular Fine/Med. grit sandpaper.

Very Sincerely,
Gregg McKenna

[This message was edited by Gregg McKenna on 14 January 2003 at 07:00 PM.]

Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2003 2:06 am    

When I tried to put a Quarterman in my Dobro 60D, I altered the edge of the new cone by crimping it slightly, as you would the edge of a pie crust. That worked fine.

The problem is that the Quarterman stands up higher than a regular spun cone. Therefore my saddles were touching my coverplate and I had to take it back out and go back original anyway. I don't know about the Regal, but if this is the case, then you should rout deeper.

Your best bet is to contact Paul Beard or Tim Scheerhorn as they do this type of work on a routine basis and could give you answers based on actual experience rather than an educated guess. You should also upgrade to a bone nut and (most guys say) maple saddle with ebony cap. I am going to try the Emerson power bridge. If I don't like that, I will go to the maple/ebony.

Speaking of difference in tone, Besides my coverplate problem, I could not tell a significant difference in the tone of the Quarterman vs. the Dobro spun cone.

My advice, God bless,
Michael T.

------------------
UTILITY MAN PRODUCTIONS
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92 EMMONS D10 LASHLEY LEGRANDE,
'85 DOBRO 60DS, '95 DOBRO F60S,
'95 MELOBAR CUSTOM, 1955 FENDER TRIPLE NECK STRINGMASTER. EVANS, FENDER, PEAVEY,
and MESA BOOGIE Amps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger