| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DVD Audio to CD
Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2006 4:18 pm    

Is there a way of recording 'only the audio portion' of a DVD to CD?......Special software program or ?.......Would appreciate suggestions. Thanks.

Jim

[This message was edited by Jim Landers on 15 September 2006 at 07:23 PM.]

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2006 8:44 pm    

This is the way I would do it. Maybe it's the long way around but so be it. I have the free recorder from www.RoemerSoftware.com

It converts any audio out of your computer to an MP3 file. So I would play the DVD and record the audio files, then burn those files to CD.

There's probably other ways to do it, butI would do it that way.
Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2006 9:11 pm    

Thanks Ken, I'll give that a try.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2006 9:41 pm    

MusicMatch Juke Box (free download) will also record sound from your computer and convert it to several different formats.

[This message was edited by Andy Sandoval on 15 September 2006 at 11:20 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2006 1:55 am    

Recording directly from the PC - e.g. "what you hear" on the PC's speakers requires that capability of your sound card. e.g. the standard "on board" (integrated) sound modules in most PC's do not have that capability (none of the newer Dell on-board (on the motherboard) sound systems have that capability).

To get the "what you hear" or "system mixer" (some call it streaming audio recording capability) you would need a separate sound card that has the capability. Some that do are the SoundBlaster Audigy series.

One comment on ripping to MP3. MP3 is not "full fidelity" = it is something less than full fidelity (how much depends on the particular song and the MP3 compression) and if you convert it back to the full fidelity wav signal you will not regain the full fidelity.
Jim Landers

Spokane, Wash.
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2006 9:24 am    

Yeah Jack, I am running a Dell with XP and that is exactly the problems I was coming up against.

I'm not so much interested in high quality sound, I just wanted to be able to pull some audio tracks from DVD and convert them to CD in order to use them with my ASD (slow-downer) program.

I downloaded the program Ken suggested and it seems to do the job. So thanks again to all for the help.

Jim

[This message was edited by Jim Landers on 16 September 2006 at 12:33 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2006 1:47 am    

Jim, if you ever want to upgrade to a full feature Sound Card, the SB Audigy 2ZS and the Xfi models have the connection for the Dell proprietary front panel headphone jack connector. Most other Retail sound cards do not have that. If you do anything with MIDI playback the hardware MIDI Synth's on the SB cards are far superior to the Microsoft GS wavetable MIDI synth that comes standard.