| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ink Cartridges
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2006 11:30 am    

Why do those little ink cartridges cost so much? has anyone had any luck with the refilled ones like walmart sells, or those refill kits? I try not to use anymore ink then i have to because those buggers are so expensive..but when i do go to print something..wouldn't you know it..dried up like an old prune..so i actually wasted a whole cartridge...I have an epso...and both cartridges together are close to 50 bucks! any suggestions would sure be appreciated.
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2006 12:15 pm    

Down here, just the color cartridge for my HP printer is over 40 bucks! Tried refilling them and it hasn't worked out too well. A computer shop refilled it first time, and the color was all off and it didn't even last at all. Something's wrong, it won't refill correctly... maybe others have had better luck. Because of this, we do without a printer most of the time or go to a cyber cafe and print stuff there cheaper.
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2006 1:11 pm    

Refills stink. Get a laser printer. They're faster, better and last longer.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2006 1:21 pm    

I have refilled Canon ink tanks many times, with good success (both black and color).
I also found some after market cartridges that saved me a bundle and worked good for me.
Check this link for good prices on cartridges and blank CDs.
http://www.supermediastore.com/
George, I can't guarantee that they will work good for you, but I am pleased with the results in my printers.... Good luck ..

------------------
www.home.earthlink.net/~johnd37

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2006 1:48 pm    

This information may be useful to inkjet printer users who are tired of paying list for replacement cartridges. It has helped me save a bundle. The cartridges I buy from them are not refilled. They are manufactured by aftermarket manufacturers and are new and compatible (labeled as "Compatible" on parts results pages). I have not had any trouble caused by these ink carts in the three years I've used them. My printer is a Canon 520S, which uses small three color cartridges and one huge black ink cartridge. The only problem I've had was if you don't use inkjet carts for a long time they tend to dry up at the nozzels. I can usually get them flowing again by running the deep cleaning maintenance routine, or by removing the dry cart and dipping the print nozzel in shallow Isopropyl alcohol, then patting it on a paper towel. I anybody does try the inkjets from where I get them please share your opinion, good or bad. OEM carts are quite expensive by design of the printer companies.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg
Moderator of the SGF Computers Forum
Visit my Wiztunes Steel Guitar website at: http://www.wiztunes.com/
or my computer troubleshooting website: Wizcrafts Computer Services,
or my Webmaster Services webpage.
Learn about current computer virus and security threats here.
Read Wiz's Blog for security news and update notices

John Bresler R.I.P.

Thornton, Colorado
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2006 3:05 pm    

I've used them for about 4 years and have never had a problem with them. I have a Brother MFC-5840 printer and the cartridges usually cost less than $5.00/each and shipping is free. They constantly run specials, the more you buy the cheaper they get. You usually get an extra blank ink cartridge with the specials.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2006 3:53 pm    

It's universally accepted that replacement inkjet printer ink cartridges are the way companies make up for the low prices for inkjet printers. Inkjet cartridges are cash cows.

Sooner or later, most people come around to the realization that laser printers are the way to go, especially now, when prices for laser printers have dropped to present levels, and, most likely, will continue to go lower.

Are replacement laser printer supplies cheap? Absolutely not! But, laser is still the best "bang for the buck".

[This message was edited by Dave Potter on 19 August 2006 at 04:54 PM.]

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2006 3:54 pm    

It's the old safety razor syndrome - buy one cheap, then spend a buck apiece for the blades for the rest of your life .....
George Redmon

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2006 9:34 am    

Thanks so very much for all your help guys. Again, this is what this forum is all about. I think all the members on here are just the most friendly, helpful, talented bunch of folks around. And i am proud to be part of our group. John and Wiz, i am going to check out both your links, and also explore Lasar printers. Helping each other, and kind words and thoughts is what makes our group so much better then the others. Thank You George
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2006 4:07 pm    

I'm proud to be part of this group too, George.

I totally agree that there's a breadth and depth of knowledge to be found here in many things, and I find it to be a valuable resource.

[This message was edited by Dave Potter on 21 August 2006 at 06:14 AM.]

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2006 1:16 pm    

George, check out a related link, "A Free Printer", by Ken Lang.
That'll rile you, too.

[This message was edited by CHIP FOSSA on 21 August 2006 at 02:17 PM.]

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2006 4:58 am    

I have an update that may be helpful:
I finally had to replace the ink tanks in my Epson R200, which I use to print on CDs.
I used the set of tanks I purchased from http://www.supermediastore.com/ . I could see no difference in the print quality when I replaced the OEM tanks with the compatible tanks.
The R200 uses 6 cartridges. The price for (2) sets,12 tanks, was $30.10 . That's $15 for a set of 6 tanks. Epson, as you would expect, warns that the aftermarket brands will clog the print heads. I will wait and see.

------------------
www.home.earthlink.net/~johnd37

[This message was edited by John Daugherty on 29 August 2006 at 06:00 AM.]

George Redmon

Post  Posted 29 Aug 2006 6:37 am    

Good luck on your tanks john..i will visit the site and see what all they have. Thanks for passing along that info. Sam's club about 30 miles from me, has just raised all their prices again, i gotta find a cheap outlet for these ink cartriges or forget the printer..that simple, i don't want to print anything that bad. Sorry part about it, no staples, office max around these parts..grrrrr
Bill Bosler

Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2006 5:27 pm    

I junked my Inkjet printer and bought a cheap laser printer and have never looked back. Most of my printing is technical drawings and schematics. The few color photo prints I make, I can get done at the local drug store for a couple bucks and I don't have to fight with a color printer any more.
George Redmon

Post  Posted 29 Aug 2006 5:33 pm    

Bill....
Quote:
The few color photo prints I make, I can get done at the local drug store for a couple bucks and I don't have to fight with a color printer any more.
i take it you can't do photos with a lasar printer? or the quality is not good? i have photos i want to print out...??????
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2006 2:19 am    

Absolutely, color laser printers can print photos, George, or any other kind of color print job, for that matter. I recently bought one of these, and have added it to our wireless LAN at home.

Higher resolution printers are available, but this one serves our purposes.