| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Questions on formats for music CD's
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2006 7:24 pm    

Would someone please be so kind as to list and explain the more common formats for music CD's (WMA, CDA, MP3, etc.)?

Also, do the various players such as Media Player, Winamp, etc. require different formats?

When I try to attach an MP3 file to an email, my computer attaches and icon that shows up as a Media Player or Winamp icon. If I send one of these to someone as an email attachment, does the recipient have to have the same player on his computer in order to play the file?

It's a lot to ask, but I need a "Poor Man's" education in this area.

------------------

Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2006 10:35 pm    

Roy;
The file formats you asked about: WMA, CDA and MP3 represent different encoding techniques and compression ratios. Audio CDs playback the CDA format, which in reality are .WAV format, full fidelity audio files. When tracks are burned onto audio CDs they are .WAV files which are hidden from the table of contents (TOC). The CDA files are tiny shortcuts, in the TOC, that tell the disk where the hidden .WAV track is located on that disk. It is also responsible in part for producing a text printout of the track names. Any device that recognizes CD audio will can be used to playback the CDA audio disks.

WMA is a proprietary Microsoft format for playing audio files encoded by a Windows Media Audio Encoder. WMA files are usually handled by Windows Media Player.

MP3 is a highly compressed audio file, typically 11 to 1 C.R. In order to maintain decent fidelity in the face of such strong compression audio MP3s are best recorded at a bitrate (sample rate) of 128 kbps or better. Most media players understand MP3s and will play them back for you. Of course, in Windows computers Windows Media Player is set as the default MP3 playback device. If you install RealPlayer or Quicktime you may be surprised to discover that one of them has taken over the file association for playing MP3 files.

WinAmp can play many formats covered by Windows Media Player, but not necessarily all. It depends on which "Codecs" are downloaded and installed into it. Some media players do best at playing their own proprietary formats; e.g. RealPlayer is for .RMA, .RMV and other Real files. Quicktime is made to play .MOV and other Apple format media files. If you have these players installed you will have to work hard to keep each one from trying to steal file associations from other media players that you want the other one to handle. It can get confusing at times.

If you attach an MP3 audio file your computer will assign the icon for whatever player has made itself the handler on your computer, for that file format. Your recipient does not need the same player to play an MP3, but must have some media player that understands the format. Where you can run into problems is if you email a RealPlayer or QuickTime format file and the recipient doesn't have that player installed, or want to have it.

I run into that type of problem when a certain friend creates a mix in some new audio creation program, with it's own file formats, which I don't have, or creates a MS Works document, and I cannot open it on my computer (because I don't have Works).

If you intend to email files to anybody it is always best to ask if that is ok with them (so they know you sent it and not a zombie computer), and if they can decode the format in which it was recorded/produced.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg
Moderator of the SGF Computers Forum
Visit my Wiztunes Steel Guitar website at: http://www.wiztunes.com/
or my computer troubleshooting website: Wizcrafts Computer Services,
or my Webmaster Services webpage.
Learn about current computer virus and security threats here.
Read Wiz's Blog for security news and update notices

[This message was edited by Wiz Feinberg on 24 August 2006 at 11:38 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 2:40 am    

A couple of other comments on CD formats.
The wav/cda format that Whiz mentions is the "standard" CD audio format that is used by commercial CD's and is the format recognized by all audio CD players.

You can also make an MP3 CD however, it can ONLY be played by an audio CD player that is MP3 capable. There are more MP3 compatible CD players coming on the market recently but very few older ones will play MP3's.

Another note on wav/mp3 formats. If you have a song in wav format it is "full fidelity". An MP3 format (depending on bitrate or compression) is something less than full fidelity. An MP3 can be converted to a wav but it will not regain the full fidelity - it will only be at the fidelity it was as an MP3.
Les Pierce

Shreveport, LA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2006 5:51 am    

Another note on what Jack was talking about: Remember, you can set the quality of the music you copy to your computer in Windows Media Player. ("Tools", "Options", "Rip Music"). You can enable/disable the copy protection, also.

Keep this in mind, if you plan on burning your library back to disk.

Les
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2006 7:59 am    

Wiz, Jack and Les,

Thanks to all of you. That clears it up for me, and -- in some instances -- confirms my suspicions. I recently uninstalled WinAmp because it seemed to be taking over everything I tried to do with an audio file. (I only used it for "Steel Radio", etc. and I figure I can always reinstall it if I need it.) For copying CD's to my hard drive and burning CD's I have primarily used Media Player and Nero.

Many thanks.

------------------

Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.

[This message was edited by Roy Ayres on 26 August 2006 at 08:59 AM.]