| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Convert MP3 to WAV ?
Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2006 8:39 am    

I there a software program to covert MP3's to WAV files.

When I Nero Burn MP3's to CD even at the
slowest speed it will play on my computer
CD player with prompting but not on my
stereo CD player.

I am thinking if I convert the files to
WAV format and reburn on a new blank disc the problem will be overcome?

Any help or adice?

Many thanks

------------------
http://www.clictab.com/RoyT/Roy_Thomson_Steel_Courses.htm

[This message was edited by Roy Thomson on 29 March 2006 at 08:40 AM.]

Darren Harkins

Benton, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2006 9:27 am    

I haven't used Nero to burn a CD for quite some time, so forgive me that I can't give particulars.

I believe Nero has the capability to convert the MP3's to WAV's, what you want to do is burn a 'Music' CD and not a 'Data' CD(which is what it sounds like you are doing).

The difference is, when you select having it make a data CD, it retains the original file format (MP3). Switching it to making a music CD, it *should* convert the MP3's to WAV's automatically, as this is the native format for music CD's.

Keep in mind that you will only be able to store about 1/10th of the songs when you convert them back to WAV format. 10:1 is a pretty good rule of thumb for WAV->MP3 compression.

------------------
Site Admin
Southern Illinois Steel Guitar Jamboree

[This message was edited by Darren Harkins on 29 March 2006 at 09:30 AM.]

Roy Thomson

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2006 10:53 am    

Thanks Darren.
I am choosing an MP3 CD and not Data however so that is not a factor.
I have searched the Nero Help and Tools, Options, Preferences and no conversion
capability is listed.
With only twelve songs to burn the Wav File
sizes pose no problem spacewise.

Roy

------------------
Darren Harkins

Benton, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2006 12:40 pm    

[Quote:]I am choosing an MP3 CD...[/Quote]

In Nero there is a difference between an MP3 CD and an Audio CD. If you are choosing the MP3 CD option, this is your problem, it needs to be an Audio CD.
Roy Thomson

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2006 4:10 pm    

Thanks Darren.
Darren Harkins

Benton, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2006 5:22 pm    

You're welcome.
Wish I would have remembered it was Audio CD and not Music CD the first time around.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2006 3:18 am    

A note on the audio formats. If you have a song in "wav" format - full fidelity format and then convert it to MP3 there will be some fidelity loss (how much depends on the MP3 copression). If you convert the MP3 back to wav it will not regain the full fidelity - it will still be at whatever the MP3 fidelity was.

Another note on audio CD burning. Keep the CD-R (do not use CD-RW) to a relatively low burning speed, 12X or lower so it will play in most any audio CD player. Car in-dash CD players are really picky about that. I burn at 8X as my "standard" and sell my instrumental CD's at shows and have never had one come back because it wouldn't play.

As far as an MP3 playing in one player and not the other. The player must specifically state that it's MP3 compatible before an MP3 will play in it. Home/Car audio CD players that will play MP3's are becoming more popular but they are still in a minority.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2006 8:03 am    

Roy,
I use Nero to convert midi files to WAV and burn CD's. On my Nero screen there is a musical note symbol, I click on that and it brings up a screen with a button with a "burn" symbol on it. I click on that and away we go. It burns my CD's at 32x speed. It takes about 2 minutes to burn 12 songs on a CD.
Erv

PS: I forgot to mention that you have to "finalize" the CD, otherwise they won't play on a regular CD player. You just click on that option when you start burning.

[This message was edited by Erv Niehaus on 30 March 2006 at 08:05 AM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2006 8:27 am    

Erv, where in Nero does it convert MIDI to wav? I have version 7 now but had version 6 and theere was nothing I see to do that.

There have been several discussions on this forum and on others about converting MIDI and there has only been one recent program metioned (don't remember what it is) that will directly convert MIDI to wav.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2006 8:47 am    

Roy,

If you are using Windows XP, that capabilty is already built into Windows Explorer or My Computer. One way to do this is to right click all the MP3's you want to burn and select "send to CD-RW Drive (D " (or whatever drive your burner is). After all these have been sent to the D: drive buffer storage area, you can right click the D: drive in My Computer and select "Write these files to CD". During this process you will be asked if you want to make a "Data" or "Music" CD. Specify data and the files will be left as MP3's. Specify "Music" and all the MP3 (and .wma) files will be converted to .cda files and burnt onto the CD/R. These will play on ANY player. Note that although you are specifying "Music" CD, you do not need a special Music CD, a standard cheap data CD'R will work just fine. Windows also manages the burn process for you. It uses automatic buffering but the average burn rate I am seeing is about 8X. I have burnt almost a hundred CD's this way and have stopped using Easy CD Creator and Nero for this.

By the way, Windows XP uses built in software provided by Easy CD Creator to accomplish this.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2006 10:01 am    

Greg, I believe that capability that you see is not built into Windows. No option such as "send to CD-RW Drive" appears here when I right click. Probably the reason you see it is that you have installed an application that provides it.
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2006 11:24 am    

Just a note... SoundForge will convert MP3's to WAV's and then you can use your regular burn program to make the music CD.
Also, Blaze Media Pro is good if you want to do the conversion in batches.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2006 12:56 pm    

Windows XP does have some built in CD burning capabilities but like other Microsoft products it's very limited. Your are better off burning with a regular CD/DVD burning program.

And CD-RW's are out. If you want to make "audio" CD's you need to use CD-R's, not RW's. Many audio CD players will not play CD-RW media. Also with the Windows XP CD burning you can't control the CD burning speed which needs to be done for Audio CD's.

Many people disable the Windows XP CD burning features as it can interfere with other CD burning programs.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2006 1:25 pm    

That capability is built into all windows XP computers. I have one laptop and 4 desktops in the family and they all have it. Very easy to use and it does provide a way to convert from MP3/wma to .cda/wav files. While it picks the burn rate for you, it works every bit as well as Nero or Easy CD Creator and frees you from worrying about all the settings. Since I've used it for so many CD's and it has worked well, I don't worry about all the settings and don't need the versatility.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Roy Thomson

Post  Posted 31 Mar 2006 10:06 am    

Many thanks to you all. I have never got so much feedback to a ??? in all my life.

I have Windows 2000 and use Nero software to
burn and with the above info I am doing just fine now.

Best Regards,
Roy

------------------