| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Do NOT try to run IE7 side by side with IE6
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2006 7:31 pm    

Those of you who are into Website development, like I am, may have heard that IE7 Beta 2 is available for download from MSDN, for XP SP2 computers. If you were thinking about trying it out be advised that it is purposely designed to NOT allow it to run in side by side configuration with other versions of MSIE. It can only be safely installed as an upgrade to IE6. If you attempt to run it in standalone config it will corrupt IE6 and make it unusable. Furthermore, IE7 will not work properly unless it is installed, giving errors regarding missing entry points in wininet.dll and others.

If anyone here has already done this and needs advise to fix IE6 I can help, as I just went through this futile experiment. Making the mistake took 5 minutes. Fixing it took one full day of research, reinstalling Windows over itself and editing the Registry.

Again, note that IE7 Beta Preview2 is only available for Windows XP with SP2, at this time. It is scheduled to become an integral part of the upcoming public release of Windows Vista.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg
Moderator of the SGF Computers Forum
Visit my Wiztunes Steel Guitar website at: http://www.wiztunes.com/
or my computer troubleshooting website: Wizcrafts Computer Services,
or my Webmaster Services webpage
Kenny Yates

Hattiesburg Mississippi
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2006 6:54 am    

Yeah, after I tried that I had to reformat the HD to get rid of the problem, Microsoft sure watches out for it's customers...right.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2006 8:04 am    

As a general rule, beta software should not be installed on "production" systems. That eliminates the potential for a system crash or whatever.

I realize some "beta" software is not a threat, e.g. the MS Spyware Beta software, and there are some "beta" software that never are issued as "final" versions. But unless you know, treat the beta as what it is software this is buggy and may not be what the final version is and/or does not contain everything the final version will have (or the final will not have something the beta does have).

When I worked at SSA we had a Novell server that was strictly a test machine and even "final" patches or updates that Novell released were tested before they would be released to the production Novell LAN servers.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2006 9:02 am    

Jack;
All of what you said is true. However, up to this new beta release of IE7 MS did nothing to prevent running multiple versions of IE in standalone, side-by-side config. With this release that is no longer possible, but it was not initially made clear on the MS Blog that attempting to run in standalone mode would trash all versions of IE. This information only came later in the day after dozens of testers complained about IE no longer functioning and errors trying to run IE7 as standalone. Only then were we told not to try that.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2006 10:04 pm    

Always ghost your machine before installing anything new from Microsoft. They have the worst backwards-compatibility record I can think of. Seems like half of the stuff I get from them is worse than the previous version.