| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any programmers with Visubal Basic 2005
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2006 8:59 pm    

I didn't even know there was a Visubal Basic 2005 until I saw it on eBay. And it's a FREE download from Microsoft until November this year.

I've been using Visual Basic 6 for several years now. I was planning to rewrite my gradebook program (I'm a teacher) and thought I'd do it in the upgraded language. But I'm not sure if there's a grid control in VB2005 like the one in VB6.

So, um, any ideas you programmers out there?

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 4:03 pm    

Why would you want to back-track ?????
VB-6 is the defacto !!!!

VB2005 ???? Never heard of it !!
(is this a scam?)

------------------
http://home.comcast.net/~crookwf/
http://photobucket.com/albums/v479/billcrook/

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 15 February 2006 at 04:05 PM.]

Michael Barone

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 4:34 pm    

Gary, take a look at this. It may save you the trouble of writing the program yourself.

http://www.classactiongradebook.com

We got it, but I don't have time to use it. It's just too much data entry for me & I'm too busy writing engineering curriculum for hours.

Mike
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 4:36 pm    

Hey Bill. It's legit. I downloaded the program and installed and activated it. Then I went to my classroom at school and downloaded the FULL set up files. (actually ISO images).
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/products/trial/

There's the link to the new versions for free download.

I did find the grid control and messed with it a little. The new grid control actually has editing built into it. On the old FlexGrid, you'd have to create a textbox, place it over the cell to be edited, make it the right size and font, check for the Enter keypress, etc. Totally more hassle than should be required just to simply change a cell value.

There are plenty of other cool features in the .NET setup that make programming way easier. Like quick access to the local computer's sound hardware for example.

Check out the link above. It's a free copy of Visual Studio. Can't beat free stuff.

Also check out www.openoffice.org for a free clone of Microsoft Office.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 5:00 pm    

Michaal, I've seen that before. I used some of the features from that program in mine.

I just prefer the way mine works. I have a tab for each nine weeks. Mine looks more like a spreadsheet - like a real gradebook does.

And of course, with my own program, if I don't like something, or want to add something, I can change it.

As for time to enter grades, I just take the students' papers directly to my computer and enter them there. Make backups on the school server of the files weekly or whenever. Print them out at the end of the year for hard copy records.

Several of the other teachers at my school also use my program so I get plenty of feedback and suggestions.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com