| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Two questions
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2005 6:09 pm    

I finally got around to rehookig up my old computer (win98) to the internet While trying it out on Bobbys steel streaming I found the music scrambled and out of phase. I recall something about that in this thread and that it could be latency problems. Anyone recall the fix? I updated windows media but that was no help.

I also downloaded win 98 updates and there were some selectable updates as well.

Directx9 End user runtime
Windows critical update information
Windows IDE hard drive cache package
Mapped drives shutdown update

How important is it that I download these as well?

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2005 5:24 am    

Ken, you didn't say what type of internet connection you have. Dialup could be a problem because of the connection speed.

------------------
www.phelpscountychoppers.com/steelguitar

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2005 5:36 am    

"Latency" is usually referred to the delay in a sound card input. But, "latency" is not an issue when playing a digital signal.

Dial-up links as John mentioned may be the issue.

As far as the updates, get whatever you can from Microsoft. They no longer support (any additional updates) Windows 98, except for whatever existing is still available. As they continue to phase out support for older Operating Systems what is currently available for Win98 will eventually be gone.

The only update that MAY be an issue is the DirectX. The Win98 hardware may not support DirectX 9c as it's aimed at current hardware.
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2005 5:22 pm    

I have broadband so speed of incoming should not be a problem. The streaming works fine on my newer computer with XP home.

The sound card is Audigy2. Perhaps the problem lies there. It never seemed quite right from the beginning.

I'll go ahead and load the other updates save DirectX.

Thanks for the input.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2005 3:24 am    

It's not the sound card, it won't "scramble out of phase". It only recreates whatever the Media Player/PC gives it. If it's "scrambled and out of phase" when the sound card gets it, it will create the audio signal that way, but it won't do it by itself.

Sound cards get blamed for a lot of things that are not a function of the sound card.

A parallel to the sound card is your steel. If you hit a wrong note the steel will create the wrong note, if you hit the correct note the steel will create the correct note, but if you hit the correct note, the steel will not create a "wrong" note.