| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Just installed my SBC DSL
erik

Post  Posted 24 Sep 2005 6:44 am    

Well, I set up my SBCYahoo just now. Unfortunately, I loaded everything, which I was advised not to. I plan on either buying a second hard drive or low-level formatting to get rid of many programs currently residing on my system. So, maybe on the next install I will just load what is needed to operate the DSL. Would someone be so kind as to tell me what steps I should skip on the installer CD to just get the minimum service? I tested my speed at cnet. Here it is "695kps". Well, that is certainly better than sub 20kps.

------------------
-johnson

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2005 9:03 am    

I think you don't need anything from the disk they give you.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2005 11:26 am    

I helped set that up for a friend last month, in Kansas City. It was needed as she had to select her screen name, password, etc. It wasn't preassigned and the installation program allowed her to set it up. I didn't see much that wasn't needed, if you want their service.

You will never get the published speed. There is overhead and the condition of the line at the instant the test was run. When I was on DSL, it was a 512 Kb downlink and I never got over about 450Kb downlink speeds. I have Bright House/RoadRunner cable that is suppoed to be 3.5 Mb and if I get 2 Mb downlink, on tests, I'm happy.
erik

Post  Posted 24 Sep 2005 1:27 pm    

Yes, it appeared there wasn't much I could leave out and still have the system working. I am using Yahoo browser. Works fine, I'm happy. Just spent an hour listening to hifi streams at soundclick. Ever since they upgraded their web site when mp3.com went commercial I have been unable to stream anything from there.

Jack, I ran my test at cnet. the bandwidth meter. This is much faster than I hoped for.

One problem I have is the filters won't work on my kitchen phone. That outlet is also the main feed into my condo. The filter introduces much noise. When I remove the filter there is no noise but only frequent data squeeling. How can I remedy this? The filter on my bedroom/computer jack works as advertised.

Note: I did not receive any of the premium options offered at sign-up. Of course the agreement says they can recind that part. All in all I'm very surprised and happy with the performance.

------------------
-johnson

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2005 2:09 pm    

Erik, the filters are needed to separate the analog voice from the data. Maybe it's a bad filter? Have you tried a different one? Regardless of where the analog voice telephone is, it needs a filter.

You can also take the phone jack apart, the Red and Green wires are what are used for the telephone circuit. The Black and Yellow are not used (unless you have two telephone lines). The phone jack should be marked for the Red and Green wires, make sure they are connected to the jack correctly.

Here are a couple other sites to check speed, www.toast.net and www.dslreports.com

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2005 5:13 pm    

I have SBC as well, for several years. It runs to a modem that goes to computers in two bedrooms and to two computers in the garage.

I put one filter on the phone in the kitchen and have no problems with any phones in 4 different rooms in the house.

Donno why, but one filter is all I've ever needed.
erik

Post  Posted 25 Sep 2005 5:42 am    

The noise is feeding back from the modem. It doesn't affect the phone in my split jack where my data cable is plugged in. Modem off, no noise. Are the filters for only when the modem is on?

The jack in question was replaced 3 times by the tech last year just to get phone working. He tossed 2 or 3 plates in the trash while I was standing there. They have the wire stripper contacts. If I take that apart chances are I won't be able to get it operational again. Then I'll have no phone service.

BTW, last night i got a speed of 1050kbps.

------------------
-johnson

[This message was edited by erik on 25 September 2005 at 06:46 AM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2005 6:03 am    

The filters are there to remove "filter out" the data from the voice band of frequencies so all you hear on a voice telephone is the voice. If you are hearing data, no matter what you do, it sounds like that telco jack is not wired correctly (or where it connects to the telephone line is wrong).

Just to verify that the telephone is good, take the telephone with the wire that you use to connect to the telco jack and connect it at the other outlet where the telephone works OK. If the Kitchen phone works OK there then that would prove that it's either a telco wall jack or wiring problem. If the phone does not work correctly there, with the filter, then there is a problem in the actual telephone. You can also verify that by taking the know good telephone and filter and plug it in where the Kitchen phone conects - if you hear "noise" then it's the jack or line, but if it works OK there then the original "kitchen" telephone is the problem.

I assume you are connecting the filter correctly. The filter plugs into the telco wall jack and then the cable from your telephone plugs into the filter.

Obviously there is no filter on the line to the modem, it connects directly to the telco jack/line.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2005 10:13 am    

Eric;
My reply deals with what programs are actually required to connect to SBC-Yahoo DSL.

1: If you had the service and modem installed by an SBC technician he/she may have asked you for your desired login name and password, then programmed them into the SpeedStream Modem, or whatever modem you received. If your name and password are programmed into the modem, you don't need anything else to be online.

2: If you received your modem by delivery service and installed it all yourself you don't have a user name or password until you login to the service and setup your account. SBC will tell you that you need to run the CD and install everything to setup your account, but this is simply not true!

Your SBC instructions should include information about logging into the modem's configuration screens. Follow the instructions, using the default user name and password, then open the setup utility (where the user name and password fields are located). Most SBC modems have a native IP address of 192.168.0.1 . If yours uses that IP address login from your default browser by typing http://192.168.0.1 into the addressbar. If all goes well you will be prompted for the administrator name and password. Consult the modem's documentation for this information. Once you have logged in read the following instructions, taken from DSL Reports:

Q: How do I register a newly activated DSL line with SBC Yahoo? (#5764)

A: Use the CD provided in your installation kit and see SBC Support for more information.
Or, do it manually using the following as the PPPoE login
Username: sbcyahooreg@sbcglobal.net
Password: sbcyahooreg
And go to the following URL to complete registration
https://sbcreg.sbcglobal.net/

Once you have registered your username and password you need to log back into your modem and change the username (@domain.net) and password to your new ones, save the changes and restart the modem.

Once the lights stabilize you will be online, without any SBC software loaded at all. The modem has a battery backup so it will retain your login info even with the power disconnected. You can turn the modem off when you don't need it, and turn it on when you do, and it will automatically log you onto the network.

If you need help with setting you a router based home network open a new thread.

Wiz

[This message was edited by Wiz Feinberg on 25 September 2005 at 11:17 AM.]

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2005 10:31 am    

Yes, you should be able to reach the modem by typing 192.168.0.1 into the address bar. This works even when you can't connect to the Internet, and it might help when you have problems.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2005 1:23 pm    

I should mention that if you connect your modem to a broadband NAT router, you may not be able to connect to the modem again by typing it's IP address. My D-Link router prevents my accessing the DSL modem, even though one is at 192.168.0.1 and the other is at 192.168.1.1 . If the router could use a totally different IP range, like 10.x.x.x then one could probably access their modem through the router.

This is a whole nuther subject.

Wiz
erik

Post  Posted 27 Sep 2005 1:30 pm    

Thank you Wiz for the detailed instructions. I may try that out when I get a new hard drive.

Jack, yes it was the phone. Even my Sony phone had distortion, though not as bad. My GE phone from my bedroom was clear. I actually have a GE answering machine direct in the kitchen, the phone then goes into that. No distortion on the answerer either. Put a test message on it from work. Still the distortion is caused by the modem being on.
erik

Post  Posted 28 Sep 2005 6:36 pm    

Just to clarify, the free added services exist in the My Services area. Have to activate them. I was under the impression it would be done during sign-up.