| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  LP>CD Transfer--Need Help.
J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2005 4:17 pm    

Soon I'll have enough LP's I want transferred to CD's and will be needing the appropriate software to do this. I'd like the capability to remove pops, hisses and such that might be a problem when transferred. I'm having a new computer built so can add whatever sound cards or other devices needed for a professional result. Thanks in advance!

J W
Les Pierce

Shreveport, LA
Post  Posted 7 May 2005 7:45 pm    

http://www.polderbits.com/recorder_uk.htm

This looks like a pretty good one. You get a 2 week unlimited trial, so if you work day and night...just kidding.

I did a google search for "LP to CD Software", and there is certainly no shortage of it! I don't what priority you use to choose. Hopefully some others will post software they have had success with.

I have an old copy of DC-Art32 that came with an old CD-RW I bought. (http://www.enhancedaudio.com) It works very well, but other than cleaning up the demo, I haven't used the filters all that much.

Les

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 May 2005 2:07 am    

On almost all turntables, you cannot connect it directly to the PC. You will need either an "RIAA" preamp or a stereo amp that has a built in phono input (that is RIAA compensated) and then a low level "recording" output.

Here is an article I wrote on PC recording, may help http://the-predator.tripod.com/dell/sec7-9.html

As far as "recording" software, Polderbits is a popular shareware program. However, depending on what sound card you install in the new PC, it may already have the needed software. I use Goldwave, a shareware audio editor for cleaning up my vinyl recordings and find it superior to some other software I have including a Cakewalk product for cleaning, a SoundBlaster program and a Roxio program. Be aware you won't get all the pops/clicks, etc out of the recordings and it will affect to some degree the fidelity of the recordings.
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2005 4:30 am    

Assuming you have a turntable for the LP's, why not do it the easy way like I did. Just go to Best Buy and get a CD recorder. You can plug the turntable into the back of it and you are ready to go. I gave $188.00 for the unit, but that was quite a while back. They may be even cheaper now.
J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2005 5:14 am    

Wow---thanks Les,Jack and George---great ideas so far! I hope to edit a lot of the "problems" with this transfer out of the final result only because I'm so anal when it comes to some things---my playback music being one! The site Jack linked me is full of great info so I've bookmarked that one--Les's reference is also very much appreciated!

Still looking for any and all info that will be helpful in the near future. I might even consider doing this for no charge if I get competent enough!

J W
Gere Mullican

LaVergne, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 May 2005 5:40 am    

Microsoft "Plus" also has a CD recording feature that includes a click and hiss remover. I have used it and happy with the results.
Gere

------------------
GFI SD10, Peavey NV 112, Hilton Pedal & Boss DD-3 & PODxt

Winston Street

Laurel, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2005 6:12 am    

J.W., this may be a site that you can get a trial version to determine what you want. I use Cool Edit Pro which has about anything you want to do with a recording. Add effects, slow down the recording and keep the pitch, and a lot of other goodies. Haven't downloaded the 2.1 version, I have the full progam that was issued before Adobe aquired it. Hope this helps
Winston Street

Laurel, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2005 10:05 am    

Forgot to paste the link. http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Cool-Edit-Pro-Download-2076.html
John Bresler R.I.P.

Thornton, Colorado
Post  Posted 8 May 2005 1:55 pm    

I bought RipVinyl, a PC software package, sometime back for $7.00 and it's downloadable. Someone here on the forum recommended it. Great program. You could probably find lots of info on it via a search.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 9 May 2005 2:40 am    

Winston, I'm confused: CoolEditPro (CEP) was obtained by Adobe and is being marketed as Audition with several changes. The download of CEP seems to be a demo.....is it still supported, or does the demo have enough features to be useful?
Those questions aside, CEP has the best filtering/pop remover that I have found, and if you want all your audio needs filled in one program, give it serious consideration.
There are easier programs to use, and usually for LP to CD recording, I use a combination of Polderbits and Depopper http://www.droidinfo.com.br/software/depopper/index.html
Depopper is not too expensive, is easy to use, and does a decent job of cleaning all but the worst scratches from old recordings.
J W Alexander

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2005 2:56 am    

I really appreciate all the input guys---thanks a lot! I'd like to find just one program that does is all---while cost is somewhat of an issue I'll spend what's necessary to get something that's nearly perfect for this sort of transfer.

I've been searching the CEP and find it's available on eBay with manuals and serial numbers for less than $100. These seem to be the pre-Adobe versions but would this be one good way to go or should I buy the newest, latest and greatest versions of whatever?

Thanks again!

J W
Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 10 May 2005 5:36 pm    

CEP is an excellent program. It does multi-track recording, EFX, editing, filtering, pitch & speed adjustment. You can use it to record LP's from your line-in, and the default settings on the scratch/pop filter are very effective. There are some relatively minor differences between CEP and Adobe Audition, but nothing worth the difference in price you are talking about.
Quote:
I really appreciate all the input guys---thanks a lot! I'd like to find just one program that does is all---while cost is somewhat of an issue I'll spend what's necessary to get something that's nearly perfect for this sort of transfer.

As I said, CEP is a great program, and you will love all the stuff it will do.......but for the single task of recording LP's, it is not
Quote:
nearly perfect for this sort of transfer.
Let me explain:
When you record one side of an LP, you end up with one long recording containing maybe 5 or 6 songs. If you were to burn that to a CD, it would be one long "Track 1". What you need to do is edit the recording into individual tracks. Well, you could sit by the computer and record the tracks one at a time, but the easier way is to record the LP, then split the recording up with an audio editor.
You can do this with CEP, but it is a laborious task. Programs like Polderbits are specifically designed to simplify this process. In fact, they incorporate an "auto-split" feature. So even though I have CEP/Audition, I still use Polderbits when I copy CDs. At $30, Polderbits is IMHO a bit pricey, but there are other options. CD Wave is only $15. http://www.cdwave.com
If you have only a few LPs to transfer, any program will do (check out free Audacity) But if you are going to do much of this, you will appreciate the auto-split feature that, unfortunately, CEP lacks.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 May 2005 2:55 am    

You don't need a full feature multitrack recording program to "record" to the hard drive from vinyl or tape. Just something such as Polderbits or even MusicMatch Jukebox (Pro).

As far as splitting the songs, if you record, as noted one complete side, Polderbits is supposed to do that. I've got other products such as Roxio Easy CD Creator that has that option on their recording program. However, I haven't had much luck with the automatic programs. I recorded one side of an old Flatt and Scruggs Bluegrass Album and wound up with 32 separate files (songs). I've tried other records and got more "songs" than there were on the record. I now use Cakewalk "Pyro" for my "recording". It's user friendly and has an easy manual option to separate the songs - it provides a visual waveform and you can see where one song ends and the next starts, set a mark at each one and it will create the separate files (songs). I have several Line In recording programs but use the Pyro because of the ease of using it. Pyro also has some noise reduction options.
Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 11 May 2005 4:08 pm    

Jack, I have experienced the same issues with the auto-split. As you probably know, it searches for silence below a certain threshold for a set duration. You can mess with the settings to eliminate false splits, but usually, I don't bother. Polderbits also has a manual split that by your description must be similar to Pyro. There is a graphic of the waveform, you set markers for start and end points, with options to fade in or out. Polderbits does not have any noise reduction options......Are the ones in Pyro decent?
JW, I would recommend that you take advantage of the free trials for these programs before you buy. All of the software mentioned here will work, what you need to do is find which works best for you.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 May 2005 5:55 pm    

Tommy, although Pyro has the noise/pop reduction built in I don't use it. I use GoldWave, which has some great pop/noise filters, and also do any other cleanup to the wav file, including equalizing the levels on the two stereo channels and maximizing the overall volume level. Then when I burn a CD all the songs are at the same volume level.

I also use GoldWave to "master" my recordings. I have a Fostex VF160 hard drive recorder and I mixdown to the PC (via an optical link), record the mixdown song to wav file with Pyro then do whatever else I want to do to the file with Goldwave.
Winston Street

Laurel, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2005 8:19 pm    

Winston, I'm confused: CoolEditPro (CEP) was obtained by Adobe and is being marketed as Audition with several changes. The download of CEP seems to be a demo.....is it still supported, or does the demo have enough features to be useful?

Tommy I downloaded the Demo for the new CEP and briefley looked at it. I think you can only record 60 seconds of a wav. file with the trial version. It looks like it probably has a LOT more features than the 1.2v that I have. Don't remember what the price was on the full version.. 1.2 does a great job on removing scratches but you have to be careful because as, I believe Jack Stoner, or someone else said in an earlier reply, you can loose a lot of the sound quality of the record if you get too sensitive with it. I know it does a good job of using sound tracks and then adding your steel and mixing down.. I believe it has about 65 tracks. I've never tried punching in for mistakes but you can switch to another track, do a retake and cut and paste the good take into your main track. You can bring the volume up in areas that you play to soft or vice versa. You can also change the pitch of a bad note if you don't want to do a retake. Its really pretty versatile.