| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  webcam software
mickd

london,england
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2005 2:14 pm    

I just downloaded 'Coffeecup' Webcam software, that lets you set up a WWW site where people can see a webcam-generated image that refreshes every 30 seconds or so. Its only the trial version, and before I cough up the $30 for the real thing I wondered if anyone had any recommendations ?
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2005 5:25 am    

I took a look at that, and actually downloaded the free trial version, but, when the install prompted me something about installing some utility to reverse the changes it was about to make to my system, I aborted the install.

Making "changes to my system" is one thing, but refusing to tell me what things were going to get "changed" is another thing entirely, and goes past my pain tolerance.

The camera I own, a D-Link DCS-2100+, has a web server built into it anyway, so when it's turned on, it's IP address is viewable on the web as a standalone, and streaming video, at that.

[This message was edited by Dave Potter on 13 April 2005 at 11:05 AM.]

Darren Harkins

Benton, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2005 12:58 pm    

I have used several of Coffecups web design products over the last 8 years and they are an excellent company to do business with. I paid the initial cost of the programs, and have received free upgrades to them for the last 8 years. I realize this doesn't answer your question directly, but if the program does what you want, I would highly recommend doing business with Coffeecup.

In regards to the install wanting to change things on your computer, every program you install changes things on your computer, ranging from drivers to configuration settings to registry settings. Whenever you install something from Coffeecup, they offer to make a backup of the original file they are altering. If you ever decide to remove their program, your computer will be returned to the state it was in before installing their program using the backups of the files the installer made.
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2005 4:07 pm    

<< In regards to the install wanting to change things on your computer, every program you install changes things on your computer, ranging from drivers to configuration settings to registry settings.

I know, I know. This warning was quite a departure from any software install I've ever done, and there have been more than a few.

<< Whenever you install something from Coffeecup, they offer to make a backup of the original file they are altering.

That's the part I found unacceptable, the business of "altering original files". I don't think that's standard in most software installations. New files are added, entries to the registry are made, yes, but altering *existing files*? Not the norm, I don't think. At any rate, when I spend so much of my time trying to get everything just the way I want it, so stuff works, I'm not prepared for something to come along and "alter" the status quo.

<< If you ever decide to remove their program, your computer will be returned to the state it was in before installing their program using the backups of the files the installer made.

That's what they promised would happen. Unfortunately, over the years, I've often encountered sloppy and incomplete software uninstalls that leave bits and pieces scattered everywhere on my PC, inside the registry, and everywhere else, such that I often have to manually edit the registry and hard drive to delete them. An example is duplicate files with different versions, which can cause the system to behave erratically. If this were a situation where some essential file that was "altered" never returned to its original state, it could become a real headache to correct.

I just didn't feel like chancing it, especially when I didn't need the software to begin with.

[This message was edited by Dave Potter on 18 April 2005 at 05:11 PM.]