| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  30's Gibson Double 7???
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2002 1:51 pm    

Didn't get much response under the Grande Console title, so I'll try again.I have an old Gibson double seven that I'm going to restore. It's black with huge pearl block markers. The pickups are Charlie C.'s with adjustable polepieces, something Ive never seen before. I'm assuming it's a late 30's model. Does anyone have any information on these guitars?
Thanks, John Billings

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2002 7:27 pm    

There's a very little bit about the Console Grand in Gruhn's Guide to Vintage Guitars and it doesn't mention a black model of this doubleneck steel. The book does say that the Console Grand came standard as a 7 and 8 string neck, but was available in any combination of 6, 7 and 8 strings.
The version you describe was made between 1938 and 1942.
The only pictures I see on the net right now are of post-1942 models with a natural finish and a P90-style black pickup with polepieces.
Can you post a picture of the guitar?

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 31 October 2002 at 07:28 PM.]

chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2002 10:58 pm    

I wasn't aware that Charlie C's had adjustable pole pieces, usually they had a single blade that was either flat on top or had notches in variable heights. I also don't think that black was a '30s color, there was at least one blonde, other than that I think the main color scheme was sunburst.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2002 8:42 am    

These are the only C.C.'s that I have ever seen with adjustable polepieces. Also the pearl blockmarkers are gigantic. they cover almost all the space between the frets. As you know, many steelers are tinkerers, and this guitar has been tinkered with! There was at one time, some sort of primitve string-pull on the lower neck. There is also a Wah-lever installed near the top edge of the top neck. All-in-all, a very interesting guitar!
JB