| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing Fonts On Documents
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2004 6:15 am    

I need a little help with this one ! I have been using a Franklin Demi Gothic font for my writing files. Maybe because my eyes are getting old or something. Now I am trying to save on my ink cartridges and want to go to something thinner like Franklin Book on my file records.

I have tried changin the font in the header tool bar and then dragging the mouse down to the end of the document but it doesn't change to the newly selected font. Am I doing it wrong ??

Regards, Paul
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2004 6:33 am    

Highlight all the text first. The easiest way is to hit Ctrl-A. Now change the font in the tool bar, and save it.

BTW, I just finished reading your "Pushin' Pedals" compilation that I received from b0b. Great stuff!
Mel Culbreath

Waynesville, NC, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2004 6:43 am    

Hello Paul,

It sounds to me like you are selecting the font and then highlighting the text.

I use WordPad for text and the way I change font is:

1. Highlight the text

2. Select the new font.

Hope this helps.

Mel
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2004 7:17 am    

Jim: Sorry for the delay but what you suggested worked perfectly and I was busy changing all those files. I have been writing short stories about my granson and they have been taking up a lot of room after two years. I appreciate the advice and I'm glad you liked reading all those old stories about steel guitar. That is a long way back...I sometimes have to go back and find things like I did recently in a thread Herb Steiner wrote about Jimmy Day's Steel and Strings album.

Mel: I appreciate your input as well and have printed it in case I ever go to word pad and need a hand there as well.

Regards, Paul
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2004 7:18 am    

I've heard tha smaller fonts use less disk space.
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2004 3:15 pm    

b0b: It's funny you should mention that because I noticed that the change actually took up more pages in each file. I had to go back and redo my page number sequence in each case because there were slightly more pages in each article. I was puzzled by it but figured that's just the way this thing works.

Now that you've pointed out the obvious, I wondering why it took more space...page space that is, because for now, I'm holding them in my word pro folder. Any thoughts for me to this end.....

Regards, Paul
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2004 3:44 pm    

b0b's pulling your leg about smaller fonts using less disk space. It sounds like the font you're using now is bigger, which will print less on a page, thus more pages are needed, but the file size shouldn't change.

As for your page number sequence, you can use headers and/or footers to automatically keep the page numbers right for you. I think there's also a way to have a page reference update automatically too, but I've never tried it.

[This message was edited by Jim Smith on 01 June 2004 at 04:44 PM.]

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2004 4:16 pm    

Jim: A usual occurance for me it seems. The best one though was when BE explained a new sound he was using as a "high vacuum effect" ! I fell for it hook, line and sinker. As he explained later: it really sucked !!

Oh well; what can I say ??

Regards, Paul
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2004 12:59 am    

Paul,
You may also go to EDIT
then SELECT ALL
then, try all your different fonts to see which ones you like best.
You can also select your toolbars to display all your editing options. If the font you like is larger, just change the font size by pulling down the options.
I'd suggest doing a sample series of documents and just play around with all your options. There's so much you can do to make writing easier.
Dr. Donna
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2004 6:20 pm    

Try Emmons Demi Gothic.

------------------

Cal's Corral
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2004 8:31 am    

Cal: I thought you used Franklyn Demi Gothic ??

Donna: I tried that and it works like a champ !! I appreciate the info but should apologize for the late responce. Caleb had me up in one of those kid things at Burger King yesterday and I'm still trying to recover. One of those rule things should state: No one over 72 years of age is allowed inside regardless of how much a grandchild may desire his presence !!

Regards, Paul