| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Virus Warning - Bob Hoffnar
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 30 May 2004 12:34 am    

b0b - I know that this is not directly Steel Guitar related and I already posted it in the "Computer" section, too, but I don't know if everybody reads that section. Since this might affect a lot of us, probably you can let it stand and close the topic, anybody who wants to reply should refer to the computer section of the Forum. Thanks!

Just wanted to let you know that I just received an e-mail from

bobhoffnar@earthlink.net

This was a virus message with the short text "read it immediately" and an attachment. I checked Bob's profile - he has a different e-mail address. I deleted the message immediately, this is a typical virus message.

Please be very careful when receiving messages from fellow forumites with strange subject lines, senseless short text and attachments! They don't come from our friends, only the names of forumites may be used to spread viruses around!!! Even a message by Buddy Emmons might contain a virus!

Messages with strange subject lines like "read it immediately", "hi", "something for you" plus an attachment are dangerous. My recommendation is to delete those immediately.

Another trick is the message that one of your messages was rejected and returned because of a virus. The attachment to this rejection notice IS the virus. Same thing with unable to deliver notifications. You have never sent something to that address, it's just another way to play a trick on you.

And last but not least: Bob, I know it didn't come from you!

Kind Regards, Walter www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------

[This message was edited by Walter Stettner on 30 May 2004 at 01:35 AM.]

[This message was edited by Walter Stettner on 30 May 2004 at 01:42 AM.]

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 30 May 2004 6:51 am    

Walter,
I'll look into it right away. I have been getting a steady stream of virus E mails from "steelgit". I use a mac and I have never had a virus get into my system. I'll run my virus check stuff again and see if I come up with anything
new.

lets move this to computers so I can get some help if i need it.

Thanks, Bob