| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PC recording question
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 6:38 pm    

It is important to have the capability of hearing yourself before a punch in. With my Roland recorder, I just press play and then the channel button and it switches from monitoring the previously recorded passage to what I am playing NOW. Is this possible with a pro soundcard in PC recording? or, is this a program issue and not a soundcard issue?
I have Samplitude 6.0 and I am contemplating going "all" PC recording. Trying to get the right soundcard, 6-8 inputs, with enough outs for mixing and monitoring. Any help and insight appreciated.
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 8:05 pm    

This is a program issue, not depending on your soundcard. In Nuendo, which is what I use, I'm able to set up my monitoring any way I want. Several different solutions for different situations.
I don't know Samplitude well, but from what I've heard about it you should be able to set up your monitoring as you wish there too.

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 8:11 pm    

Reggie: I'll try to answer your questions from where I sit. Only my own experiences. Others may have more and better information.

The reason I bought a PC was for digital recording, suggested by my son, rather than tape units so prevelant in the late 90's.

The key component is a software program like cakewalk, soundforge or the like. I use cakewalk 9, now an older program. It was replaced by Sonar, but I haven't had enough incentive to upgrade.

The basics of a sound program are: You can input MIDI through a keyboard etc. This is a series of instructions that tell your sound card what to play. It has no relation to the real world, just the computer world: the better soundcard you have, the better the notes will sound. In addition, you can buy an external sound module which generally has better sound than a soundcard in your computer. In MIDI you can add/delete/change/copy any note or series of notes via the software.

Added to that mix, you can input real guitar sounds or vocals or instruments direct or thru a mike. They show up as a wave file (.wav) Wave files allow effects changes, like reverb, but cannot be altered in detail like MIDI.

Cakewalk allows me 256 tracks to lay down instruments, both MIDI and wave. The most I've used is 35. I've recorded this mixture to tape without alteration, but if you're going to a CD output or for mastering, all tracks have to be converted to wave files. The programs allow for this, tho I have not done that yet.

As far as 6-8 inputs at once, you're talking high end stuff. Thousands of dollars. Better to mix it down ahead of the computer input.

I use the soundblaster audigy2 platinum ex soundcard. It has an external breakout box with quarter inch jacks, MIDI, firewire and all that stuff, as well as a Roland external sound module. As to your question about previewing, cakewalk allows you to arm the track your recording on, and then listen to the others as you lay it down.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, feel free to ask or email. Ken
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 8:26 pm    

I make soundtracts for people who write songs. I don't use sequencing or really need midi hookups into the pc. I play a keyboard, bass guitar, acoustic guitar, drums, bass guitar, lead and pedal steel, all with 1/4 outputs. I need tracks, more than I have with the 8 track Roland!
I'd like to be able to bring in a 4-6 piece band in and record simultaneously, if necessary. As far as recording vocals, I have recorded as many a 5 at one time.
It is good for a vocalist to be able to "sing into" a punchin, so they need to hear themselves. I want this capability.
And, I guess that is a software issue.
THanks guys~
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 8:44 pm    

Quote:
And, I guess that is a software issue.

Correct. As for soundcard that allows you to record everal trackes at once, it doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg.
Do some research on RME (my personal favorite), Echo and Aardvark (and a few others that I don't remember the names of right now). They all make soundcards with good converters and low-latency drivers at a relatively reasonable price. Their top models all have break-out boxes with multiple inputs.

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

[This message was edited by Steinar Gregertsen on 20 April 2004 at 09:45 PM.]

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2004 10:35 pm    

You are getting to the stage where working on PC is starting to get complicated.
I use a M Audio Delta 1010- that will record 8 tracks of Audio simultaneously. There are cheaper versions from "me too" companies, and Pro versions from people like MOTU.
However, you are using pure Audio, so you might find it easier to get a dedicated hard disk recorder like the Alesis HD24.
You can still use the PC for editing and Post production. The HD behaves exactly as if it was a multi track tape machine, but it uses removable hard disk drives that yuo can get anywheree.
Cheers
Dave
Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 5:05 am    

Quote:
I need tracks, more than I have with the 8 track Roland!

Hi Reggie,

The Roland VS series 'virtual tracks' give you much more than 8 tracks on your recorder. When I used the 880 I would end up with four stereo pairs for the mix. Here's the way to do comps. Record tracks one through six and then comp them to a stereo pair on virtual tracks on seven and eight. Then record six more tracks (on three through eight) and comp them down to one and two. You can always touch up a part or go back and remix the comps, too, because you don't have to record over your previous tracks; just select a different virtual track. Create comps for groups of instruments (rhythm comp, guitars, vocals, etc) and add effects as desired. Just remember that you can play only one virtual track at a time for each channel.

A software based system is very powerful and versatile as you can use plug ins, advanced editors and samples in RAM, but you'll miss the faders, buttons and dials on your DAW. In fact, many ultimately end up paying another $1000 for a control surface to add a hardware interface to your PC. I sure prefer buttons and sliders over mouse clicks.
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 5:37 am    

I use 2 mixers presently. One for the mic pres and phantom power into the Roland. The other for playback of my minidisc, DAT, CD, recorder and cassette players.

The feature that is so important to me is that when I am redoing a vocal "phrase", I can engage auto punch, depress play and record, let them begin singing with themselves and with one push of a button, cut the old take off and all they hear is their present signal.

I appreciate all suggestions and ideas! Thanks so much!
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 10:39 pm    

[This message was edited by Lem Smith on 28 April 2004 at 10:44 PM.]

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2004 10:21 am    

I have pretty much settled on a Delta 1010 card. Another recommended to me is a Terratec http://www.jdsound.com/store/product1.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=3581
Any thoughts? It is $299 new and the Delta is $500+.
Thanks guys! All of your responses are very meaningful!
Mark Krutke

Tomahawk, WI USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2004 9:11 am    

You may want to check out Cool Edit Pro's (now Adobe Audition) Red Devil unit, which may contain the punch-in "on the fly" capability - all for a very reasonable cost.

I like CEP for it's ability to recover very well when freezes occur without losing data, however, much of my recording is done with the Roland VS unit, which does an excellent job for punching in/out on the fly. You can also set it to be a "play/stop play" option, or "choose your next locate point" feature, too.

Wish you the best.

------------------
www.authenticrecording.com