| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Download problems..
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2004 4:16 pm    

Ever since I purchased my new Sony Windows XP computer, I have had an intermittent problem with certain downloads NOT letting me install the software after the download is finished. While it does not happen too often it has on several occasions caused me NOT to be able to install a program.

Well yesterday it happened again. I was trying to download a new stock trading program from Fidelity to replace my old program that they are phasing out on the 29th of this month. After downloading the 28meg compressed file, it would NOT let me install it.

It would try and then just stop and then cease the install. NO error message was received. I called Fidelity and a very knowledgable technician worked with me for several hours. The first question out of his mouth was "Do you have any kin dof firewall installed and working on your computer?" I told him I didn't.

During that 2 hour period he asked it again. Finally just before he was about to give up (he had tried just about everything imaginable), he said, "I have one last idea". So he had me go and look at my "msconfig" program to see what was being loaded on a reboot.

As I called all of them out, he stopped me when I got to two of them. I said these are my anti virus programs. Which we had disabled earlier. So he had me remove the antivirus from being launched in the task bar during "startup".

Sure enough, this now allowed the new download to install on my computer. He rationalized that even though it was called "anti virus", there must have been some firewall software in it. After we got it installed, he reinserted we reinserted the antivirus launch on startup, and everything is now fine.

So if you have a problem with installing downloaded programs or you face it in the future, you may need to go into:

1. Run

2. Type in "msconfig"

3. Click on "startup"

4. Remove any program that might even hint at being a firewall or anti virus. You can easily put them back later. It is just a matter of removing the check mark and then reinserting after you get your software to install.

5. Reboot

carl.
Lloyd Karenke

Eagle River, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2004 11:31 am    

I was told to update and install the new installsheild at: http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108322
Lloyd
Updating the InstallShield software will sometimes
resolve this issue, so it's worth a try. Instructions for updating the InstallShield software is on the following page :