| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerky playback in BIAB
Eddie Harper

Fairfield, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2004 10:12 pm    

My BIAB just started skipping when I would playback a song. I switched MIDI drivers and still the same thing. Any suggestions. I'm using a pentium 4 2.0 512MB Ram Windows XP Home. Thanks Eddie
Chippy Wood

Elgin, Scotland
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2004 5:59 am    

I noticed that when I had too many programs running at the same time, try just running BIAB by itself if you are doing this.

[This message was edited by Chippy Wood on 07 January 2004 at 05:59 AM.]

Eddie Harper

Fairfield, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2004 9:21 am    

Chippy Thanks for the advice as I did that and made it through with skipping but have always used other programs while using BIAB and never had a problem until now. I thought I remembered someone saying about the BIAB folder only being able to contain a certain amount of files but I don't know this to be true. Thanks Again for you Help. Eddie
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2004 12:06 pm    

I had that bug on my mac. I was sent to download the latest Quicktime 6.0 from apple. The new Quicktime fixed the bug.

Brad Sarno

Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2004 9:24 am    

I think the newer versions of BIAB have no limit to the # of tunes in a folder. They did have a limit at one time back a few years. Check w/PG music to be certain, but that's what one of their techies told me.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2004 3:32 am    

This sounds like a typical low resources issue.

t
Les Pierce

Shreveport, LA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2004 9:25 pm    

Eddie,

Try doing a "Ctrl+Alt+Del" and bringing up XP's Task Manager, while you are running BIAB like you used to do.

Click on the "Performance" tab and check your "CPU Usage", and "PF Usage". If the skipping occurs at the same time as the CPU Usage is hitting 100%, or the PF is full, you'll know something is eating up all you system resources. (When you are sitting there doing nothing, and the PC is idle, you should show hardly any usage at all. If your computer is busy for any leangth of time, when it should be idle, it may indicate a not so well behaved program that you may wish to remove).

Click over to the Applications tab and see what all is running. You might have picked up a program without even knowing it, that is trying to manage things for you. There should only be listed the programs you have open at the time. Anything else would be running in the background, and could be the problem. Just highlight it, and tell XP to "End Task", and see what happens.

If you're brave, you can do the same thing in the "Processes" tab, but if you don't know what to end, you may crash your machine.

Take care,

Les
Eddie Harper

Fairfield, Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 11:10 am    

Les Thanks for the info. I did as you said and I had a spyware program from my ISP that was running and taking up a lot of usage as BIAB was playing. Also disabled my antivirus program and everything seems to be working properly but I had never had to disable anything before and that what puzzles me. A couple of weeks ago I got a prompt to update the Directx from windows update and have noticed a problem from that time on but cant seem to find it so I can delete it. Anyway Thanks for all your Help. Eddie
Les Pierce

Shreveport, LA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2004 8:22 pm    

Start/All Programs/Accesories/System Tools/System Restore

Usually when you do an update of such magnitude, System Restore will set a restoration point. If you remember the approximate date, check and see if there is one from around that time. If so, you can restore your computer to exactly the way it was before you upgraded the DirectX software.

Take care,

Les
Eddie Harper

Fairfield, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2004 1:56 pm    

Les I tried to do a system restore but It wouldn't go back past Jan 01 Do you have any idea why that occured? I think its time for a Format. What's the procedure used to Format Windows XP? Anyone done it yet? Thanks for all the Help Eddie
Les Pierce

Shreveport, LA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2004 7:50 pm    

Eddie,

There should have been a calendar on the left, and a listing of system restore points on the right. You say that the DirectX 9 update point wasn't there? The only reason I can think of, is that System Restore was not enabled before Jan 1. Why, I don't know.

All of my computers have come with a restoration CD that would restore everything back to day one, just like it came from the store. If you don't have the restoration disk, and your machine is factory assembled, you should be able to go on line and get a copy from the manufacturer. (Then you spend hours on the internet updating drivers, etc.).

If it's home built, you may have to get a startup disk from somebody with Windows 98SE. (98SE, so you'll have the large drive support). You can boot to a dos prompt and run fdisk to delete any partitions, and then reformat your hard drive. Then you should be able to reload XP from the CD.

I've never tried it, but you may be able to boot up off of the XP disk, and choose a complete reload of XP, with a drive format included. Pop it in and find out, can't hurt anything. Either way, you will lose all data currently on your drive, if you do a re-format.

Also, make sure that your hard drive didn't come with disk manager of some sort. If it did, that is what you'll have to use to get the maximum amount of space when you format your drive. You can get that utility also off of the internet.

You can always do like I did, and go to Walmart and get one of those $495 machines. I haven't had any problems with this one,(emachines W2247), that I didn't create myself, and everything runs great. Then you can fool around with your old one all you want, worry free. (Of course, it helped that I just happened to have a few extra dollars back then).

Take care, and good luck,

Les

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2004 8:09 pm    

From Microsoft's DirectX FAQ:
quote:
Q How do I uninstall DirectX?
A DirectX 9.0 is a system component and cannot be uninstalled. If there is a problem with the DirectX installation, it can normally be resolved by shutting down all running applications and reinstalling. As mentioned previously, DirectX 9.0 is fully backward-compatible with titles written for previous versions of DirectX. If you are having other problems after installing DirectX 9.0, these can often be resolved by installing updated drivers for your display card, audio card, or input device.

As with most software, users of Windows ME and Windows XP have the option of creating a "System Restore point" before installing. System Restore points allow you to roll back your operating system to a time before the software was installed. If you feel there are special circumstances which may necessitate removal of DirectX. It is recommended that you create a System Restore point. Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, and Windows 2000 do not support the "System Restore" feature.