| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finally have the Fender T8 running right.
Andy Zynda

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 5:41 am    

When I got my Fender Custom Triple 8, one pickup was open, one was weak sounding, and one was heaven. So:
1) Complete teardown/cleanup but NOT a refinish. I like that gnarly beat-up blonde look.
2) Built a Jason Lollar pickup winder, and tought myself to rewind pickups. Got it right after three rewinds. Practice....
3) The weak pickup was a stumper. After talking with Jason, and finding that he has had this problem in the past, we decided that the pickup magnets had lost some of their gauss. (magnetism)
I hunted for a replacement pickup to no avail. So I contacted Ted Weber (of WEBER speakers, the finest on the planet) and he helped/guided me in building a magnetizer. It took about a month to construct, a week or two to test & tweak, (and replace one exploded capacitor!) and used it to re-magnetize the old AlNiCo end-bell magnets.
It was a long road, but definately worth it! Now I see why steel players love this old beastie.
Now I have to teach myself speaker reconing, to justify the cost of building the magger. Or face my wife and tell her that it cost me around $400 bucks (scrounging/scavenging for parts, mind you) to build a gadget that fixed two pickups, and explodes on occasion.
The learning process never ends.....
-andy-

[This message was edited by Andy Zynda on 08 October 2002 at 06:42 AM.]

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 5:56 am    

ANDY

There are more,,but thats all I can say right
now.
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 6:53 am    

Hey Andy -- wow! That's pretty cool. Big congrats on getting it done! Sure wish I could hear that thang, too. All I can say is, you're a better man than I. I have NO talent for any of that technical engineering type stuff. It's literally all I can do to just learn to play the dang things.

Oh yeah -- how 'bout them Packers!?

TJW

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, B11, E13); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6); Melobar SLS lapsteel (open D); Chandler RH-4 Koa semi-hollow lapsteel (open G); Regal resonator (open G)
Andy Zynda

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 10:50 am    

HEY JODY,
You're back online!!
Best news I've had today, welcome back my friend! Your pants included!

HEY TODD,
Can't thank you enough for the advice, the leads, and the guidance! My Rockabilly/Swing/Blues/Jazz band is loving the steel added to our stuff!
PS: LOVE E13th tuning!
-andy-