| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need website help
Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2003 3:36 am    

Hey Mark-- or anyone with a moderately good dialup connection:

My ISP just upgraded me from 5 to 25MB of web space. Since it's now worthwhile, I've made my first attempt at HTML and creating a page. If you have time, please visit

http://www.bright.net/~evcox/

and check a few things for me.

1. Do the pic's load quickly enough?
2. At the bottom are links to some .mp3's I recorded. Do they work?
3. Do the mp3's "stream" or "download"? ('Because of You' is about .5MB while 'Autumn Leaves' is a little more than 1MB.)
4. Is the volume level high enough?
5. Is the sound quality acceptable?

On my system, running Win98SE and MSIE, the links bring up Windows Media Player. Even though I linked directly to the mp3 files rather than to "play lists" (m3u), they surprised me by streaming. But I don't know if my ISP will allow streaming, even when properly encoded, for someone not logged onto the ISP's server.

I realise my HTML is not very good, nor will the mono/low bitrate mp3's yield quality sound.

My playing skill (or, lack of) fits my HTML and recording prowess quite well.

Thanks--Everett
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2003 5:35 am    

Nice first effort.
I have a super fast Internet connection, so I can only say it loaded fast for me.

What's missing is a caption saying where you are. I can see it in your Forum profile, but it's not on the web page.

Remember, people from the entire world might come across your page. Don't give out your address, just a city or area will do.

BTW, I enjoyed the tunes!
Mark Ardito

Chicago, IL, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2003 7:04 am    

Everett,

Hey buddy looking good! Great looking house you got there...looks like a lot of leaves to rake in the fall I have the same problem at my house

Anyway, I checked out your site from a dialup line that I have for some remote users at my office. The site loads pretty quick. I looked at the size of your pics and I might try and reduce the size of them. I don't mean the actual dimmensions, but rather the Kilobytes (Kb).

Here is a way to do that...I took a look at your source code and I found this:

IMG SRC="AUT02.JPG" WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="240" ALT="Autumn in back" ALIGN="TOP"

I left out the opening and ending tags on purpose, but you are resizing the image on the webpage. I saved your pictures and saw that they are actually 640x480 and you are resizing them to 320x240. What is really happening is the person visiting your website has to download the full size pic and then it gets resized. If you have a photo editor, go ahead and make copies of all of your photos and then resize them to the desired size and then use those pics instead of the full size ones. You should see a drop in the (kb) and you will see a REAL quick load time.

Let me know if you need any further explanation and I would be glad to help you out.

Thanks!
Mark

------------------
Sho~Bud Pro I, Fender D-8 (C6&E13) http://www.darkmagneto.com

Mel Culbreath

Waynesville, NC, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2003 11:09 am    

Hi Everett,

I have a DSL connection so everything loaded quickly.

1. Do the pic's load quickly enough?
A. Yes

2. At the bottom are links to some .mp3's I recorded. Do they work?
A. Yes

3. Do the mp3's "stream" or "download"?
('Because of You' is about .5MB while 'Autumn Leaves' is a little more than 1MB.)
A. I am using Real One Player for mp3s. When I clicked on a song title, a small window opened showing the mp3 was downloading. That took a couple of seconds, then the song played.

4. Is the volume level high enough?
A. Yes. Just right.

5. Is the sound quality acceptable?
A. Yes. Very good.

Also I enjoyed your playing.

I don't know if it is the fault of my computer settings, but the red letters used in the titles of the songs did not display very well because the background of the page appeared to be an orangish red.

Nice job.

Mel
Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2003 2:18 pm    

Thanks guys-- I've made some improvement with the suggestions offered and will continue as time permits. My HTML will likely progress more quickly that my playing.

Nice tip, Mark -- really hadn't thought about the image source size.

--Everett
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2003 3:00 pm    

Hey Everett---on my fairly sluggish dialup the page loads just fine. It's always a toss-up as to whether you want to do the thumbnail thing or the full size photos but in this case the load time really isn't bad. I downloaded 'Because'. It doesn't stream for me but somewhere, somehow I've gotten configured so that direct clicking on an mp3 gives me a site not found failure in general so I alway have to 'save target as'. The level is fine. The sound quality--on my end, at least, it sounds like you recorded it a bit hot--there's some distortion there. you might want to back off a little out of the red, as it were. But it's real pretty.