| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Drive unavailable?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2003 7:28 am    

Once in awhile, when I start my computer, it seems the CD-ROM driver doesn't load, so I get a message that says something to the effect that "The drive that this shortcut or link is referring to is not available...". When I open "My Computer", sure enough...the drive doesn't appear. Generally, I just reboot the computer, and the problem disappears, but there should be a way to reload the CD-ROM driver without doing that. Can someone help me with this problem?
John Gretzinger

Canoga Park, CA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2003 9:16 am    

Donny -

First things - what OS are you running and what anti-virus product are you using and is it up to date?

Loosing the CD Driver is not common and may be a symptom of other things.

The things I'd do next are run SCANDISK and have it do the "full" or complete disk check.

Run a full system scan with your anti-virus program.

Let me know what happens.

jdg

------------------
MSA D-10 w/Nashville 400
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 May 2003 1:31 am    

Thanks for those tips, John. I'm running 98 and use Norton, which I update a couple times a month. I've also run the full Scandisk, but it's never found anything. Where I work, when one of the network drives doesn't load, I have a little batch program that I use to remap the drives. I just thought there might be a way to do the same thing with the local drives. Thanks.
Mark Ardito

Chicago, IL, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2003 5:54 am    

Donny,

I would right click on "My Computer" and goto "Properties" then click the 2nd tab at the top...it is called "Device Manager". Then hit the + symbol next to CDROM. This will expand and you will see your CDROM device. Now highlight it by single clicking it and then hit the "Remove" button. It will ask you things like "are you sure you want to do this" and just click Yes through them.

This removes the driver for the CDROM, now close all of the windows and reboot your machine. It should bootup and find a new device...Your CDROM and lets see if that fixes this issue.

BTW...that batch file you have at work that remaps your network drives is only for mapping "network" drives. It wouldn't help you here.

Mark

------------------
Sho~Bud Pro I, Fender D-8 (C6&E13) http://www.darkmagneto.com