| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Resocasters
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2002 1:30 pm    

I have received a copy of "Resocasters", the collaboration of Mike Auldridge, Jim Heffernan and Hal Rugg and I'm just positively dumbfounded. Mike had been dropping little tidbits over the last six months or so and the guys actually showed up at the Steelin' For Hearts jam back in April, but....the CD exceeded all of my expectations.

Here's the skinny on this thing:

Three incredible talents playing 6 string (lap and spanish)reso, 8 string reso, 10 string D9 Ped-A-Bro and Weissenborn in a whole variety of tunings. Incredible backup and some surprise vocals by Dennis Parker, Joe Diffie, Brad Paisley and Sonya Issacs.

A couple of well known tunes from the swing canon and a bunch of original stuff by the 3 gurus, including a _burning_ arrangement of Mike's "Rock Bottom". Oh, can I use the word _incredible_ again. I almost fell off of my chair during the Ped-A-Bro break.

Rock Bottom
Second Avenue
Roly Poly
Irish Spring (Jim_nails_ it)
Evangelina
Charmaine
Sugar Foot Rag
I'll Rise Again
Blue Yodel
Last Call at Syzlak's
Doin' The Charlton
Girl From the Heights

The CD should be available from Mike at http://www.mikeauldridge.com in a couple of days .

B0b...Don't know what your arrangements are with the artists...you ought to get copies of this.

I have no interest in this CD except as an extremely happy consumer!!!

hp

------------------
Howard Parker
poobah@resoguit.com
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT

[This message was edited by Howard Parker on 02 August 2002 at 02:36 PM.]

[This message was edited by Howard Parker on 02 August 2002 at 02:38 PM.]

[This message was edited by Howard Parker on 02 August 2002 at 02:40 PM.]

Jim Heffernan

Haddon Heights NJ
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2002 9:15 pm    

Thanks Howard..It was fun to do.Something different, not your standard record. A new sound,Mike and Hal are about angels, I was lucky to be the same room with my heros.
Andy Zynda

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2002 7:48 am    

Well, you hooked me. I just ordered a copy, and while I was at it, a copy of the Great Dobro Sessions. Heard wonderful things about that compilation.
-andy-
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2002 7:54 am    

Andy says:

Quote:
Well, you hooked me. I just ordered a copy, and while I was at it, a copy of the Great Dobro Sessions.

==>A wise decision as both CDs will ruin any preconception you might have have about resonator guitars. Another choice might be Tone Poems III (Auldridge, Brozman and Grisman)...all resonators all the time and spectacular photography (the booklet) to boot!

h

------------------
Howard Parker
poobah@resoguit.com
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT

Pete Grant

Auburn, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2002 8:24 am    

All three guys are _awesome_ on this album. You can just tell that they're tickled to be playing together. It's a delight to listen to this recording and be part of the fun.
Andy Zynda

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2002 6:47 am    

Holy Jumpin' Jeepers!
What a pair of Ear-Candy CD's!
Well worth the money!
-andy-
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2002 11:44 am    

Jim Heffernan, when Ivan played me some rough cuts over the phone of you guys, he'd already told me about you, but it was the first time I got to hear you! Amazing, blistering, master of all things toneful----This is a great CD, I want to see you guys live so bad it's killing me!
It's amazing what Guernseys can do in the right hands, isn't it.
Jim Heffernan

Haddon Heights NJ
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2002 1:43 pm    

Thanks Steve. Ivan does make a great guitar.Mike's Guernsey is the best guitar I've ever heard, and my two come in second and third. He promised to give it to me one day, so I'll look forward to that.
We're playing in St. Louis at the convention, and hope to be playing the road soon. Really glad you liked the CD, let me know if I can help you with anything.
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2002 4:13 pm    

Hi Jim, real nice of you to make yourself available both here and on the Jerry Douglas website.

I for one, would be in favor of federal legislation making it mandatory for all reso owners to own a copy of "The Resocasters."

I particularly like "Roly Poly" where you are playing 6 string G maj7 sandwiched in between two 8 string C6 resos. Your break is wonderful.

Jim Heffernan

Haddon Heights NJ
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2002 5:05 pm    

Thanks Howard.. If anyone has ever had to take a break between Mike Auldridge and Hal Rugg, you would know that you'd better be loaded for bear. I enjoy Western Swing alot and always wanted to play some of those sounds on the Reso. The Gmaj7th tuning will get you there with just one half step string lower. It's alot of fun. Try it and see if you can figure out the intro to "Walkin After Midnight"
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2002 7:34 pm    

Yeah, Jim, Mike and I were in Ivan's shop last year during IBMA, and Ivan was almost ready to string up the new 8-string. Has Ivan Guernsey ever made a bad-sounding guitar? I want an 8-string, can you talk him into building me one?
Jim Heffernan

Haddon Heights NJ
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2002 6:28 am    

Steve, I'm not aware you or I would have to talk him into building one. Did he say he wouldn't make you one? The 8 string he made for Mike is killer !!
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2002 3:24 pm    

Yeah, Jim, he'll build me one. I just wanna play it like you and Mike! And, for the record, there's not a better resonator guitar built, nor a better guy, than Ivan Guernsey! He builds 'em right, stands behind 'em, and plays up a storm, too!
Jim Heffernan

Haddon Heights NJ
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2002 10:23 pm    

Amen bro,if the rest of the reso world only knew.There is a guitar out there that FAR excedes your wildest dream of what a Dobro sounds like. It is available for less than you might think, and will change your whole conception of what a Dobro can do. Ivan makes it.
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2002 6:42 am    

Jim, I have no doubt that you guys would sound great on whatever you play.

I know one thing for sure...a Johnson in your hands .....would sound 100 times better than a Scheerhorn in mine.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2002 5:14 pm    

Howard,
Who wants to go around with his Johnson in his hand?(I know, I know......)
Jim Heffernan

Haddon Heights NJ
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2002 7:18 pm    

I would, if I could get away with it !
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2002 2:45 pm    

Jim's ride on "Charmaine," Mike's "Roly Poly," the harmony(and message)of "I'll Rise Again," HAL RUGG-------this thing's gotta win some kind of award!
(This is not a paid political announcement.)
Jim Heffernan

Haddon Heights NJ
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2002 6:46 am    

Hal is one of the greatest musicians of all time. It was an honor to cut the record with him. check out his solo on "Charmaine". I'm hanging on for dear life!