| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Windows XP ?
Lyle Bradford

Gilbert WV USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2002 11:37 am    

When i save something to clipboard where do i go to find what i saved? I have a bible program and saved some notes and can't find anything that will let me get back to it. Thanks for your help in advance.
seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2002 12:58 pm    

If you didn't do anything explictly to save your clipboard contents, and you've turned your computer off since you copied stuff in there - it's probably gone.

The Clipboard temporarily stores information you are transferring between documents, and the ClipBook permanently stores information you want to save and share with others. Get into the Clipboard viewer and read your help information.

There should be a clipboard viewer in your "Accessories". (I think, XP's at home, NT's here at work)

anyway;
click START, Programs, Accessories, and look for a clipboard viewer. OR open any word processer you have (Word, Notepad, Wordpad, MS Works etc.) and simply 'edit / paste' into a blank document to see if you have anything 'clipped'. Then save THAT document.

I've actually never used the Clipbook, I just cut and paste stuff around and use the Clipboard simply for temp. storage.

cheers,
Chris

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"We can't afford to let Nature run wild" - govt. offical - Alaska
www.seldomfed.com

Mark Ardito

Chicago, IL, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2002 1:04 pm    

Lyle,

In Windows XP, they took out the "Start" menu feature of the clipboard viewer. However, if you open up your COh Well drive and then go to Windows folder then open the "System32" folder you will find a file called clipbrd.exe you can open up that file and see what is on your clipboard.

If you have rebooted your computer since your copy or cut to the clip board it is gone.

Mark

------------------
Sho~Bud Pro I, Fender D-8 (C6&E13) http://www.darkmagneto.com

Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2002 1:49 pm    

Anytime you "Cut" or "Copy" text or files, then "Paste" them in another document or location, a copy of the text or file is saved (temporarily) to the Clipboard. After the "Paste" operation, the text or file is still in the Clipboard. If you then "Cut" or "Copy" another piece of text or file, the new material replaces the previous material in the Clipboard.

So if you want to retrieve anything from the Clipboard, you have to get it before you have replaced it with something else. Or, as others have stated, before you restart your computer.
Lyle Bradford

Gilbert WV USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2002 4:38 pm    

Thanks guys!! You all are great. I guess I have lost what i was trying to save in a study but i know now how to do it next time.