| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  LP's/casettes to CD
Joe Fortune

2900 Ontario Dr Springfield, Il 62707
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2000 6:04 am    

Can anyone give me some infor re converting
331/3 lp stero records or stereo casette tapes to a cd? Have a cd writer but I don't know how to do this.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2000 10:02 am    

Do a search in the Computer section. There have been several threads on this.

If you can't find anything, e-mail me.
Carl Dvorcek

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2000 11:10 am    

If you have a CD writer, hopefully it came with Adaptec Easy CD Creator 3.5 or later. Included should be a routine called "Spin Doctor". This routine is specifically designed for recording from phonograph to CD and incorporates leveling, balancing, and hiss and pop removal.

Carl
Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2000 8:32 am    

Jack &/or Carl or anyone else;
I also am VERY interested in converting several albums I have to CD..I have some more questions please..Since I don't yet have a CD writer;What is the difference between a CD-R & a CD-RW?? What brand is you recomendation? Also;what is the best program for removing hiss & pop?? Is there any better programs out there than what Carl suggested? Thanks to any & all who reply as I need to get this project done..Thanks Ron
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2000 2:56 pm    

Most CD writers (Burners) today are both write and rewrite drives. A CD-R is a "writeable" disk and what you would normally use for audio. They are a write once disk (there is a way to add more data to what is there but for most purposes it is a write once). A CD-RW is a rewriteable disk and can be used over and over again sort of like a floppy diskette.

As far as brands of CD Drives, there are several name brands that seem to work well. I have a HP 8250i (internal) and I have used it for a lot of audio and some data. I've seen those advertised, this week, for $159.99 but I don't remember where - it was either Best Buy, Office Depot or Circuit City.

The software that is supplied with the CD unit is adequate for copying disks (audio and data) and for creating data disks but inadequate for creating audio disks. I purchased Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4 Deluxe and it has some fairly user friendly software for audio. It also has a noise reduction function built in (I have never used that part, tho) that is supposed to quiet noisy tapes or turntables. The Adaptec CD software seems to be the most common for home recording use.

I have found the best way to record is to first "record" each song as a .wav file and store it on hard disk. Then after you have a group of songs on the hard disk you can assemble them in whatever order you want to to appear on the CD and then "burn" (write to) the CD. You can record directly to a CD but I'd advise against that, as once it's "burned" there is no recovery - e.g. if something would happen to the tape while recording, a system crash or whatever, once you have the error it will screw up the CD and it's basically trash, you'll have to start all over with a new blank CD.

There is other software out there to clean up a signal but for someone inexperienced, the Adaptec software is the easiest option to get started.
Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2000 2:59 pm    

Many Thanks Jack..That was exactly what I needed to know..I appreciate your time..Ron
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2002 4:59 pm    

One thing I found out that hard way this summer is to make sure you don't allow the wav files to build up beyond the capacity of the hard drive to store them. I believe I crashed the computer when I did that. I should have deleted some wav files as I added others since my hard drive was too small. My friend said these wav files take up a huge amount of space. Could someone really in the know comment on this, please?
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2002 5:05 pm    

Filling the hard drive with files of any type will crash the computer. The operating system needs a certain amount of free space for its swap files, temporary files, etc.
Doyle Huff

Broken Arrow, OK USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2002 5:32 am    

Ron. I got a program that might interest you.
It's called vinyl rip. Play a record or tape into it and it breaks the record into individual tracks. When you make your cd you change track sequence or delete tracks as you please. Go to Davecentral. Cost $7.00
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2002 6:50 am    

I just ordered a turntable that has a digital output. I would also like to put some LPs on CD and decided that digital was the way to go to input it into the CD burner.
Erv