| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  sending file
compuserve

ENGLAND
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2002 10:11 pm    

Is there a way i can send a BIAB midi file that i have recoded steel on to?in an email i can send the files ok but not the audio.im not sure if i can I would be very very greatfull for any help on this topic.best regards and
GOD BLESS to you all JIM..
Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2002 1:05 am    

Midi files are just a list of note ons and note offs- they don't make any sound until you connect them to something that can play the notes- so the files are very small, and you can send them attached to an email.
Sound recordings are a list of voltages, rated from Zero to 32000 and measured 44100 times per second- so there are a lot of numbers and the files are big.
To put Midi and audio together, you need to play the midi notes and record them as audio along with the audio steel track.
If you have a Soundblaster soundcard, you just select "What You Hear" on the recording properties, play your BIAB mix, and record the sound you hear on an audio recording program (I use Soundforge)
If not, you will have to record your BIAB/Steel mix onto an audio recorder and then record it back in to your computer from there.
It will then be a WAV file (or AIFF if you're a Mac man) From there you can either burn it to CD or encode it as MP3 - using even more software!
The Wav file will be huge, the MP3 version will be about 1/12th the size and should be emailable unless you are on Hotmail or something with a 1Meg limit.
There are direct conversion programmes available on the Net, but I'm not happy about the sound quality- but maybe that's just me having pro gear to play with all day.
Chances are you will not understand most of this, it's a steep learning curve even for full time students, but check out the free aticles on www.sospubs.co.uk (use search to look for Midi and computer recording articles)
Cheers
Dave

[This message was edited by Dave Boothroyd on 17 July 2002 at 02:06 AM.]