| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Normalization in Nero
Joel Glassman

Waltham MA USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2002 12:48 pm    

I'm using Nero to burn CDs from Wave files.
The normalization process gives 2 options:
RMS and Peak--then each is expressed as a percentage (with the user option to change
the numbers). One problem-there is nothing in the help files which gives any explanation. boy that's surprising
I use the Peak setting at 95% because it seems less distorted than other settings. Any thoughts? Thanks --Joel

[This message was edited by Joel Glassman on 22 May 2002 at 01:57 PM.]

[This message was edited by Joel Glassman on 22 May 2002 at 01:57 PM.]

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 23 May 2002 12:11 am    

Normalising is the process of setting digital recording levels to get the maximum signal to noise ratio without peak distortion.
You can do it by having the computer look at all the waveform and setting the overall volume so that the very loudest sounds are at 0dB. That would be peak normalisation at 100%. 98% would be a couple of dB below that.
For this purpose 0dB is the loudest sound that can be recorded digitally,represented by the biggest number your A/D converter can work with.
RMS level normalisation sets the volume so that the average signal level is half the maximum possible level. In numbers that means that RMS levels are at -6dB. That would be 100% normalisation to -6dB RMS.
You might get peak distortion at this setting if your music has a big dynamic range- a lot of variation between the loud and quiet bits. Commercial recordings are often compressed - reduced in dynamic range so that they can be normalised at -6dB RMS, because they sound louder that way.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Dave
Joel Glassman

Waltham MA USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2002 12:02 pm    

Hi Dave--
Thanks for the explanation--
Its hard to decide on which method to use.

My main need for normalization is in creating
1)compilations of lp recordings
2)compilations of live recordings
3)compilations mixed live/LP recordings

What settings would you recommend to use-
If I choose peak is 100% or something less a better way to go?
thanks--many questions I know--Joel
Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 28 May 2002 12:05 am    

The BBC set all their meters to give themselves 5dB of "headroom". So when the red led flickers at 0dB, you are actually recording at -5dB.
That's good enough for me, so I'd go with your 95% peak setting that you have been using and tell yourself that you are recording to BBC specifications.
The other setting I use involves a plug-in program that compresses the peaks as well as normalising to 0dB peak. It gives a very loud, professional sounding, recording.
The program is called "Waves Ultramaximiser"
- but I do this for a living- I expaect to have all the latest goodies!
Cheers
Dave
Carter York

Austin, TX [Windsor Park]
Post  Posted 28 May 2002 7:06 am    

I've been using Nero for a few weeks now and like it, but I still am not happy with the normalization feature. If I put together a compilation cd, from different sources, and I want the songs to play at roughly the same volume, do I select each track one at a time and set the normalization (on a track by track basis), or can I select all of the tracks and set the normalization just once? I have been doing the latter, and it seems to still be a big difference in the final cd.

Thanks,

Carter
Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 29 May 2002 12:03 am    

I have a copy of Nero at work for evaluation, but at home I still use Adaptec CD creator. The later versions have a thing called Disk Doctor with noise reduction, vinyl restoration etc (which I don't use) but more importantly will scan a whole set of songs and normalise them to the same level before burning to CD. Even though I always treat every track individually first, I still use that function because it covers up for any missed tracks and makes the whole CD sound more professional.
Oh, if you are burning tracks that have very quiet intros, you will still have problems, so I use a compressor preset to boost quiet intros to about -25dB (some of them are nearer -40, which is difficult to hear at all!)
Cheers
Dave